Breakfast

"Hello! It's me, Deok Sun!" Deok Sun called out in front of Jung Hwan's house before opening the front door.

She practically leapt at the chance to deliver the rice cakes her mom made, if it meant a chance to see Jung Hwan so early in the morning.

"Hi, Deok Sun!" Jung Hwan's dad greeted her happily. She loved their banter, although Jung Hwan's mom was always exasperated by her husband's sense of humor.

"Oh, your mom made so many!" Jung Hwan's mom exclaimed as Deok Sun set the rice cakes on the table and sat down, "Would you like to eat here? I made spicy sea squirts."

"I'd love to!" Deok Sun exclaimed as she made a goofy gesture, and her heart skipped a beat when she spied a small smile tugging on Jung Hwan's lips. 

Deok Sun piled the food on her plate and continued her banter with his dad, trying to be as goofy as possible so she could bring that smile out of Jung Hwan. Every slight smirk he gave, she amped up her goofiness and collapsed into laughter.

How could Jung Hwan resist smiling when her laugh sounded like music to his ears? He loved to see her smiling and happy, especially so early in the day. It was like nothing could go wrong today.

All too soon, it was time to get ready for school. He and Deok Sun stood up and excused themselves from the table.  As Deok Sun made her way to the front door and Jung Hwan stood at the doorway of his room, he paused and asked, "Do you want to walk to school together?"

Deok Sun grinned at him and nodded. "See you later," she said in English, and he couldn't help but laugh.

Her heart leapt at the sight of his smile. Jung Hwan was always so serious, so she loved it when she could make him laugh and smile.

Jung Hwan ducked into his room, and before Deok Sun could change her mind, she called out, "Jung Hwan?"

He popped his head back out, "What?"

"I like seeing you smile," Deok Sun said in a rush, then turned to head out the door. "See you in a bit!"

Jung Hwan stood there, staring at the front door that had shut behind Deok Sun.

"Aaah Deok Sun," he shook his head and shut his bedroom door, "How am I supposed to face you now?"

And Jung Hwan plopped down on his bed, unable to wipe the stupid smile off his face.