5. A Second Farewell

"Ah, mija, you're finally home!" Carlotta welcomed her daughter with a tight hug and a warm smile. "I've missed you!"

Carmen smiled back. "I've missed you too, amá."

It was wonderful to have finally met her mother. It took some getting used to, but now Carmen was beginning to settle into life at the orphanage. She found she enjoyed playing with the kids and helping Carlotta run the place, even if she did get restless from time to time.

Carmen had told Carlotta her entire story, from the very beginning up until the present. It was from her mother she learned her given name, which was Camila. It wasn't too far off from Carmen, funnily enough. But Carlotta insisted on calling her daughter Carmen.

"It is the name you have earned for yourself," she had said. "You have forged your own path and established your own identity, and I don't want you to give up that legacy, Carmen Sandiego."

"That's Carmen Camila Sandiego," Carmen replied with a smile.

Carlotta touched a hand to her heart. "Indeed."

Carmen did introduce herself as Camila to the orphans, though. She didn't want to put them in danger by giving them any clue as to her true identity as a superthief.

"How was your trip to see your friend?" Carlotta asked, interrupting her thoughts. She showed Carmen inside and closed the door behind her. "His name is Graham, right?"

Carmen sighed and flopped down on the couch. "Yes. As to how it went, well... I don't really know how to explain it."

"Tell me what happened," Carlotta replied, sitting down opposite of her.

Carmen recounted the conversation she and Gray had shared. "We both decided that it would be best if we went our separate ways," she finished.

Carlotta frowned. From what Carmen described, it didn't sound as though she or Graham truly wanted to keep their distance. But she did not say her thoughts aloud. "And how do you feel about that, mija?"

"It doesn't matter how I feel," Carmen said, shaking her head. "When I'm around Gray I only end up putting him in danger."

"If that's what you think is safest, then I support you in it." Carlotta said. She knew it wouldn't help to point out how unhappy Carmen appeared about this conclusion. "Now, I have some el submarino for you if you'd like it. I picked it up earlier from your favorite cafe."

"Ooh, that sounds amazing," Carmen replied, instantly brightening. El submarino was an Argentinian hot chocolate, el submarino translating to submarine. The name referred to the way that the beverage was made, where a thick piece of dark chocolate was sunk into a mug filled with hot milk, and when stirred, the milk became hot chocolate.

Carlotta stood up to retrieve the drink from the kitchen, putting it in the microwave to heat it back up. She brought it back into the living room and handed it to Carmen.

"Thank you, amá," Carmen told her, breathing in the scent of the steam rising up from the mug and lifting it to her lips. "Mmmm."

"You're welcome," Carlotta smiled. "Now, I'm sorry to rush out on you, seeing as you just got here, but I promised my friend Sofia I'd meet her for a late lunch. Julio, Matias, and Laurel are taking care of the orphans today, so you don't have to worry about that."

Carmen nodded. "I think I'm going to take a nap after I finish my cocoa," she said. "Hopefully that'll help me shake the jet lag."

"Alright," Carlotta replied, grabbing her bag and car keys. "I'll be back in a few hours."

"Bye!" Carmen called as Carlotta walked out the door.

Carmen remained on the couch for a bit longer, finishing her drink. She was about to get up to put the mug in the sink when her phone buzzed.

"Hi, Player," Carmen smiled as she accepted the video call. "What's up?"

"Nothing urgent, I just had something to talk to you about," Player replied. He looked excited but also a little nervous at the same time.

"Sure, Player, what is it?" Carmen questioned. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's fine!" Player smiled. "About 14 hours ago, my little sister Charlotte Bouchard was born. My dad and I just got back from the hospital to prepare a few things before Mom brings Charlotte home."

"Player, that's amazing," Carmen grinned. "Congratulations to your family."

"Thanks," Player said. "But that's not all I had to tell you." His expression was suddenly very serious.

"Oh?" Carmen tilted her head.

"I-" Player took a deep breath. "I've decided to take a break from the internet for the next couple months. I want to spend some more time with my family and watch my little sister grow up. I'll check in with you occasionally, but for the most part, I'll be offline for a while."

"I totally understand," Carmen reassured him as she took in the anxious expression on Player's face. She didn't want him to think he was letting her down somehow. "This is a big deal for you and your family, and your little sister deserves your full attention." She smiled. "Maybe your parents will send you back to school now that those ant-wasps are gone and you can make some new friends."

"Maybe," Player replied doubtfully. "But no one will ever take your place, Red."

"Good. I'm glad," Carmen smiled. "You're the best friend I've ever had, Player. Take some time off. You deserve it."

"Thanks," Player smiled back. "I guess this is goodbye, then. Not for forever, but for a while at least."

"Goodbye, Player," Carmen told him. "Enjoy your time with your family."

"I will. Goodbye, Red."

With that, the screen went dark, and Carmen sighed. In a matter of 48 hours, she had said goodbye to two of her oldest friends. Even if it wasn't forever on Player's part, she still felt depressed.

She walked to her room and climbed into bed, burying herself under a pile of pillows. Hopefully she would feel better when she woke up.