★09

chapter nine.
the nazis?
.✧*:・゚

𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙏𝙍𝘼𝙉𝙌𝙐𝙄𝙇 𝙎𝙄𝙇𝙀𝙉𝘾𝙀 of the night was broken by the group of teenagers who trekked through the woods, still slightly shaken from their previous encounters with the Demogorgons. The moon had appeared, and beamed down though the trees, bathing the dark forest in its dull pale light.

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asked, as they made their way back along the railway tracks. "Yes." Dustin answered confidently. "He had the exact same yellow pattern on his butt" Max and Ember exchanged glances.

"He was tiny two days ago." Max rolled her eyes.

"Well, he's molted three times already." Dustin said in a dull tone, still acting coolly towards the redhead. Steve cut in.

"Malted?"

"Molted. Shed his skin to make room for growth, like hornworms" Dustin corrected.

"When will he molt again?" Ember asked curiously. Dustin answered her "It's gotta be soon." He looked back at her from his place beside Steve. "When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends"

"Yeah, he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats." Steve muttered. Ember lowered her head for a moment of silence for Mews (rest in power sista 😔✊), as Lucas turned to Dustin in shock.

"Wait, a cat?! Dart ate a cat?!"

"No, what? No.." Dustin lied.

"What are you talking about, he ate Mews" Steve said bluntly. "Mews, who's Mews?" Max asked. "She was Dustin's cat" Ember sniffed.

"Em! Steve!" Dustin yelled. "I knew it!" Lucas growled, shoving Dustin's shoulder. "You kept him!"

"-No!" Dustin began, lying again. "No..." He trailed off as the four other teens stared at him in silence, waiting to hear his excuse. "No, I.. no I...-" He paused. "He missed me. He wanted to come home!"

"Bullshit!" Lucas shouted. "I didn't know he was a demogorgon, okay-" Dustin defended.

"Oh, so now you admit it?" Lucas cut him short. Ember sighed, growing tired of their bickering, as did Steve and Max. "Guys, who cares? We have to go!" Max pleaded, but this only seemed to rile Lucas up even more. "I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" He snarled. "So did you!" Dustin screamed back.

"What?"

"You told a stranger-" He shone his torch in Max's face. "-the truth!"

Max scoffed, stepping towards Dustin "A stranger?!" The boys ignored her, not breaking eye contact with each other.

"You wanted to tell her too!" "But I didn't Lucas, okay?! I didn't tell her!" Ember and Steve, who were standing a bit apart from the arguing three, suddenly heard a faint screeching in the distance. They both turned their heads, tuning out the voices behind them, still bickering back and forth, as they stepped towards the direction the noise was coming from.

"Hey guys?" Steve called over his shoulder quietly. The others ignored him, still fighting. Ember's blood began to boil. This arguing was getting them nowhere, why couldn't they just listen? Their friends were most definitely in danger, and they were just wasting precious time. "Guys!" She growled harshly. They stopped talking abruptly at the sound of her unusually loud voice, which was oddly out of character for a quieter girl like Em. She didn't say another word, for the screeching grew louder, so she began to walk towards it with Steve at her side, the other three following, still in awe at her outburst.

They stopped at the edge of the forest, looking down at their surroundings. "I don't see him" Dustin said, stating the obvious. They could still hear the distant screechings and roars. Lucas put his binoculars up to his eyes, carefully scouring the area. "It's the lab" He breathed.