XI

“Get up!”

Sharp shards of something cold kept hitting him repeatedly in the face, almost like…like someone was flicking water at him. Groaning, he slowly peeled his eyes open to find the she-devil standing over him with a glass gripped in her hands and a concerned expression plastered on her face.

“What the fuck!?” Immediately sitting up, he wiped his face dry with the hem of his shirt, then blinked up at her, anger jolting through him with so much force it surprised even him. “What are you doing?”

“I—I—I—”

“Give me a coherent fucking answer,” Salim seethed, his jaw ticking angrily. Sabah gulped visibly and took a step away from him.

“I got scared,” she finally muttered, never meeting his eyes. Feeling his annoyance growing with each passing second, Salim roughly pushed the sheets off of himself and climbed out of bed. At the sight of him stalking towards her, Sabah’s eyes grew wide in panic and she turned around, dashing towards the balcony. He almost wanted to laugh. As if she could really get away from him.

He grabbed her wrist before she could unlock the balcony door and spun her around. She gasped and looked up at him and he had to fight to keep his expression stern. God, she had beautiful eyes.

“What are you—” she began.

“No. What are you? Do you really think you can just throw water in my face and get away with it? Do you even know who I am?” he asked, narrowing his eyes at her. She looked up at him with a small frown and then rolled her eyes.

“I wasn’t going to. But—”

“Wait just a second. Did you just roll your eyes at me?”

Sabah rolled her eyes again. “Yes,” she said shortly, her voice holding a tone of irritation now. Salim’s eyebrows rose at her sudden change in mood. He rarely ever saw this sassy, snappy side of her, but a part of him really liked it when it did decide to show its face. Almost enough to keep their bickering going. Smirking, he pulled her wrist closer and arched an eyebrow.

“Do it again. I dare you,” he threatened, putting as much darkness into his voice as possible. Sabah huffed and tried to pull out of his grip.

“Can you please let go of me?” she asked, ignoring his demand. Scowling, he tightened his fingers around the delicate skin of her wrist and leaned his face closer to hers.

“I believe I asked you something,” he said, his voice low and dangerous. Sabah turned her face to the side and closed her eyes.

“Get away from me,” she snapped.

“Not until you tell me why in the hell you threw water in my face and dared to roll your eyes at me,” Salim said decisively.

Sabah sighed. “I already did. I was scared,” she said.

“Of what?”

“You wouldn’t wake up. I called your name a hundred times and even shook you and tried to pull you out of bed, but you wouldn’t budge. So I got scared and water was my last resort.”

“And the eyeroll?”

At this, Sabah grit her teeth and glared up at him. The sudden fire in her eyes made him want to smile. He could get used to having this side of her around. “You were being an annoying, egotistic, power-hungry alpha-male and I was getting irritated by it,” she said, jerking her chin up proudly.

Shocked at the spew of insults, Salim could do nothing but simply stare at her for a moment. Then he felt the anger surge through him, causing him to lock his jaw and push her against the balcony door harshly. She gasped and winced, looking up at him with a stunned, scared glint in her eyes. He ignored it, unable to think past the words she had called him. How dare she talk to him like that!? Clearly, he had made a mistake letting her off the hook so easily. He shouldn’t have teased her and simply put her in her place like she deserved. Obviously, she wasn’t worthy of being playful with.