"If anyone had hurt my child on purpose, especially an adult, I would want to know." Fariha said. "That's why I came to tell you this." 

"I need to speak to Arhaan. This is it. Sadia Bha..." I was interrupted by the scream of a child, followed by Sadia Bhabi shouting out Ismael's name.

"What the hell?" Without thinking, Fari and I dashed outside and were stunned to see Ismael lying on the ground outside, a thin trickle of blood running down his forehead, as Sadia Bhabi sat on her knees beside him, crying.

"Ismael...baby..." Clearly Sadia Bhabi was in shock.

Fari went over to gently help her to her feet, while I got down to take a look at the toddler.

I didn't hesitate for a second because he was not only Mina's nephew and my best friend's son, but he was a small toddler, just a week older than my daughter. I would never, not in my lifetime, let family politics or resentment come in between me and my duty, especially when it was about treating a small child.

****

We ended up on a second trip to the hospital within twenty-four hours, with a second toddler. 

Ismael's was a little more serious injury and I'd actually had to give him stitches at home to stop the bleeding. The hospital trip was necessary because, again, none of us were willing to take the risk with a child's head injury.

*As I'd said before, I'm not a medical expert, so any inaccurate medicine related information should be overlooked. I try my best to only write information that makes sense, or that I'm familiar with, but excuse the errors.*

"You did the right thing to do the stitches at home, otherwise the blood loss could have become fatal for him." The doctor had informed us.

This time Papa and I had been joined by Ismael's parents, and Arhaan and Sadia Bhabi both looked tearful, hearing the doctor's words.

Arhaan walked up to me. "Thanks, Bhai." 

"Don't." I shook my head and gave him a hug. "As a father, I wouldn't want any parent to go through the trauma of anything happening to their child." I couldn't help glancing at Bhabi, with a clenched jaw, as I spoke.

Embarrassed, she lowered her gaze. 

"Especially not you, Bhai." I pulled back and looked at my best friend. 

He smiled, looking relieved. "I'm going to pray some shukranay nafl." He patted my shoulder, before walking off.

"Sadqah dena chahiye bachon ka." Papa, oblivious to Bhabi's deed, spoke up. "Pata nahin kya ho raha hai ghar ke bachon ke saath."

*"We should give sadqah for the kids." 
"God knows what's happening with the kids of the family."

"Sometimes we don't immediately realise the reason, Papa." I replied, my gaze on the ground. "But when we do find out the reason, we should learn our lessons from it." 

"The first and foremost being that toddlers must always be watched over, Sadia beta." Papa told her. "Sometimes, they can cause chaos in just a blink of an eye. Don't mind my words, but I said the same to Fawad, after what happened with Hania yesterday." 

"Right. No adult was watching over Hania." I nodded.

The way that she glanced up at me sharply, I knew that she knew that I knew*.

*Anyone who watched 'Friends' would get this reference, and I couldn't help adding it. That was just a hilarious episode.

Papa glanced at his watch. "Beta, it's almost Asr time. I'm going to go and pray as well."