Chapter 2 - How a girl met a boy

My mouth dropped open. "What? I just saved your life!" I spat back quickly completely shocked by his ungratefulness.

He seemed to get angrier as he got up and dusted off his clothes. "I didn't ask for you help. I was training. The fire, yeah that's my quirk." He said shaking his head.

I rolled my eyes and tried to get up. I was covered in burns. I cringed as I got to my feet. I began to look over my arms and legs to assess the damage.

"Are... are you okay?" The boy asked now slightly concerned after seeing me.

I looked at him. He didn't look much older than I was and although he was the one on fire he didn't seem to be as burnt as I was either.

"I'm ... im fine." I lied as I limped over to a tree to steady myself.

He looked at me in disbelief. "You sure don't look fine." He said mimicking my tone.

I winced in pain again and looked down at my burnt hands. The one on the tree was shaking and the other I could barely feel. Everything felt like it was still on fire.

"There's a lake just over here, you should probably go in it. It should help with the burns." He said holding out a hand for me to take.

I hesitated and eventually held onto it as he lead me to the lake. He knelt down to it and cupped some water in his hands before he poured it over his head.

I tried to kneel down and do the same. The water stung as it touched my skin.

"Ouch." I said pulling my hand back from the water in pain.

The boy cringed slight as he watched me. "Here let me take your backpack." He said reaching over to take it off my shoulders.

As he went to touch it, the straps seemed to disintegrate and the contents dropped out. I twisted my head quickly and saw my ruined sketchbook and pencils fall to the ground.

I gasped and quickly grabbed the book flipping through the pages till I got to the one of the city I had just finished.

It was ruined.

Tears fell from my eyes as I picked up the burnt piece of paper. Even the pencils were practically charcoal. I couldn't even talk I just looked at them holding them in my hands.

The boy picked up some of the pencils. "Oh I'm Ughh.. I'm sorry. Please don't cry. I can get you some new ones." He said apologetically.

I was starting to get mad and I could feel my anger building up. Like buying a new book could replace the amount of time I spent on all of these drawings. I scrunched my drawing up and threw it at him. He flinched but let it hit his chest.

"I was just trying to help you cause I thought you needed it! You didn't have to be so mean." I sobbed as I picked up what I could of my backpack and began to walk away, still in a fair amount of pain.

"Wait!" He said as he reached out to grab my wrist.

As he gripped on I screamed out in pain. He quickly let go and I pulled my arm into my chest. I looked down at it and noticed a deep burn that had taken most of the skin off, it wasn't huge but it sure did hurt.

"Oh no." The boy said realising how injured I actually was. "Your really burnt." He said stating the obvious.

My hand continued to shake. "Yeah no kidding." I scoffed. "I need to get home."

"Do you live far? My house is just down here if you wanted to come down, my mum can have a look at you." He said pointing to the traditional Japanese house I saw earlier.