Smashing Mirrors Chapter Two

Chapter two.

Something wasn't right. No something was very wrong in the world at that very moment. Shadow stood in a run down old hall, the walls were crumbling and all the windows were smashed. Pictures from the said wall of fame were scattered all over the floor all with painted red X's through them. Shadow pulled the only one remaining on the wall off. Instead of an X this one was circled. This one was of shadow.

"and so the coldest wave of 2119 hits the UK and the world for that matter, on record today is the coldest it has been since the big freeze in 2086" A boy about 17 in age turned away from the weather with a sigh. It was always the same thing; the weather was just about the most interesting thing that happened now that the rebellion groups had broken up. A middle aged woman walked in she was wearing a pale pink dressing gown and sheepskin slippers she had a tired looking face and as predicted she headed straight for the coffee machine.

"In other news, recent police reports show that the final member of HERO, a rebellion group from two years ago has shown up. CCTV footage shows the outlaw leaving a hospital in London." There had been so many reports of the final member of HERO showing up over the last two years chances were this was just another imposter looking for the lime light like the rest of them. Annoyed with this the boy picked up the remote and turned the TV off. Quietly he muttered to himself "yeah, right".

"Christopher you had best be going, you don't want to be late again." The middle aged woman said pouring her coffee. Christopher picked up a backpack "yeah, see ya later mum" he said with a sigh. Another boring day of school, he thought to himself. As he stepped out he was greeted by the loud sound of police sirens.

Like always and everyone else Christopher ignored the sirens, in his mind the police had their job to do and he had to get to college. There was one thing that he wanted more than anything and that was to change the world from what it had become over 100 years ago. His father on the other hand had different ideas of what Christopher should do with his life. The term carrying on the family business fits in here, well if your family has had one of the three top chairs in ruling earth. Yes his dad was the second leader of the order and organization that takes pride in, well, world domination.  Two years ago Christopher had applied to join the rebellion group HERO and his father had found out. It was because of Christopher that HERO was wiped out and along with that was the hope that civilians had. Christopher stopped outside the old warehouse in which HERO used to meet before they were killed off.

He shook his head. Sick of all the thoughts that had plagued him, over the death of 9 people who had turned him away.

He had only taken four steps away when the door behind him had crept open. The sound of sirens was faint but slowly getting louder in the distance, he was met by the bright blue eyes of a girl, her features were familiar but he wasn't sure where he had seen her before. She wore an all black skin tight jumpsuit and knee high black boots. She reached behind her leather coat and Christopher clamped his eyes shut. "Please don't shoot me, I don't want to die!" he pleaded but the girl laughed. The sound of the musical laughter caused Christopher to open his eyes with a slight scowl at what was so funny. "Calm down its just they keys to the car." She said holding up a key on a key ring.  She pushed a button and a black sports car's lights flashed. She laughed again as Christopher crossed his arms. "I knew that." He claimed looking down at the floor. The girl took a step towards him and extended her hand, "they call me shadow." He took it hesitantly "Christopher."

"Nice to meet you. Would you like a lift or are you going to walk to college and be late?" she asked one of her eyebrows raised. Christopher looked down at his watch, 4 minutes to bell. "Crap! Err yeah a ride would be great!"  She laughed again getting into the car. "Hey how did you know I was at college?" he said closing the car door, the engine revved a few times before she pulled out onto the main road. "I can read minds." Christopher stared at her his mouth gaping open. She laughed again, "You're a funny one! It's the logo on your blazer, St.Mark's academy right?" he looked down at his blazer and there was the motif of St.Mark's. He nodded looking down at his shoes.

"You know Christopher they didn't deny you access because we didn't want you. We were being chased, by the order." Christopher stared at her. He watched as she drove past the college and down a back street. "How did you know that?" he choked.  She stopped the car by an old run down looking shop. "I was there. You probably don't remember me I was in the corner but it wasn't your fault. The order was hunting us one by one and somehow word got out about HQ and well that's when we ran. But the others didn't make it. So now you have a choice. You can help me or you can run?"

She looked at Christopher her hair shone in the dim light it was morning and clouded but even under the dim light from the ally it still had a blue shine. Christopher wanted to apologise tell her it was him that told the order of their whereabouts but something was stopping him. Was it that he was finally being offered what he wanted? The opportunity to change things,but how would he hide this from his father? He didn't want to be the reason for any more deaths. He choked but finally said "I...I..."