Chapter 2: It's Nothing

Once back at the firehouse I went up to my office and closed the door. I didn't want to talk to anyone.

"I am going to go check on Shelby." Casey said as he stood up to walk to her office. He stopped just short of her office door when he heard her on the phone.

"Justin I just don't know anymore. Maybe this wasn't a good idea. I didn't know Kelly was at this house when I took the job." I didn't know Casey was listening in on my conversation.

"I'll see you tomorrow. I love you." I hung up the phone as a few tears slipped down my face. I heard a knock on my door. I wipe my tears and turn around to see case standing there.

"How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough. Whose Justin?" Casey crossed his arms.

I sighed. I didn't really want to do this now. I started to play with my ring and then looked at Casey. "He's my fiancé."

I watched as Casey rolled his eyes. "Then why did you just lie to him?" I looked at him all confused. "Oh cut the crap Shelby! I know you talk to my sister. She told me you always asked about Kelly. You knew he was at this house when you took the position. So what's your angle?" Casey was getting pissed. Everyone down the hall could hear him. Everyone got up and walked closer to the bunks.

"Angle? I have no angle Casey! I took the job because this is what I love to do! I knew justin wouldn't of let me take it if he knew my ex-husband worked at the same house!"

"Typical Shelby lying to get what she wants!" Casey was staring at me. "Kelly has never been able to move on from you! Not with how you left. Not after you guys put Anna in the ground!"

I snapped. I got up and walked over to Casey slapping him across the face. I felt the sting of the slap on my hand. "Don't you ever bring up my daughter!"

"She was just as much your daughter as she was Kelly's! Don't you give a damn!? He lost her too. It wasn't just you!" I watched as Casey turned around and walked out of the bunks. I could hear him yell at everyone. "Don't you all have something to do??"

Great not everyone knew. I went back to my paperwork.

Shift was finally over. I slammed my locker shut and ran out the door before anyone could say anything to me. I walked over to Justin's brand new Mercedes and got in.

After shift Shay went to the hospital to pick Kelly up. She walked up to his room and gave a light knock. "Come in" Shay walked in and saw Kelly sitting their in his regular clothes. "You ready to go?"

"Oh don't you know it." Shay got Kelly seated in a wheel chair and wheeled him out of the hospital.

Once in the car she looked over at Kelly. "The house knows."

Kelly looked at her confused. "Knows what?"

"Everyone overheard Casey and Shelby fighting. They know she is your ex-wife and Anna's mother." Shay had know the whole time because Kelly was her roommate and he had told her one night on the anniversary of Anna's death.

"Oh that..." Kelly didn't know what to say. They sat in silence the rest of the way home. Shay helped Kelly into the apartment and got him on the couch. She gave him some water so he could take his pain meds.

"Whatever you need Kelly. I'm here."

"Thanks Shay." Shay then turned on the tv. The two just sat there and watched TV till it was time for bed

Next Shift

Casey and the rest of the guys were standing outside the firehouse when I got dropped off. I really didn't want to be here today but knew I had a job to do. I kept my head down and walked right past everyone.