Chapter 56 (edited)

Start from the beginning

He growled. "I willingly sacrificed myself for you!"

I froze.

"I put myself in danger for you! I lost my sight for you! I lost everything for you!" His voice echoed.

My stomach dropped.

"God! Don't you understand?! I can't tell you the details! Because you love me and you will blame yourself. And I don't want that for you!"

"Roy.. why.. why would you-"

"Because! You were in danger and I.. I couldn't let that happen.." He stopped.

"But I didn't ask you to!"

"Doesn't matter! I would do anything for you!"

"God!" I slammed my fist against the table out of anger. The table shook and books fell.

The room fell silent again and tension stunk up the small space. We were both out of breath from our screaming match.

I looked at him. "Roy Mustang.. I love you so much that... it drives me crazy." I stepped closer to his bed. "I miss you..." I sat next to him. "And it hurts.. to be apart from you."

"I want you more than anything else in this world." I cupped his face.

I pulled my hand away. "I just want to know the truth, from you. I want you to tell me. I want your story." I begged. "Why won't you tell me?"

"Because..." His voice was strained. "Because you will be angry-"

"No.." I sat back.

"You will be angry and you will leave." He continued.

"No." I stood up.

"You will leave and you won't come back."

"No! God! Why do you think that?!"

"Because that's what you do!" He argued. "You run!"

I scoffed.

"That time you went to Briggs! You left after we fought!" He yelled again.

"Oh my god!" I ran my fingers through my hair. "That wasn't about you! I took care of myself!" I stepped back. "I'm not going anywhere.. How many times do I have to tell you! I'm in! I'm still in. I've always been in."

"God!" I turned away. "I gave up Briggs for you! That should be confirmation enough!"

I took a breath. "Truth is... I don't know anything except that... I'm scared and confused and I don't know what to do.." I paused. "You're sitting here and I have people hovering around me but I'm alone and I'm terrified.."

He took a breath. "I want to talk to you. But, I want to do it when it's just us."

I turned to him. "Now is as good a time as any."

"Not for me."

I am.. losing my mind. "You.. stubborn asshole." I held my hands up. "I want to.. wrap my hands around your throat."

He gasped. "Oh? You have a new kink?"

My mouth gaped open and I couldn't help but chuckle. "Roy-" I laughed again. "Stop! We're fighting!"

He stopped chuckling and this warm look came on his face. "I miss you.."

And just like that.. he quickly defused the tension by making me laugh. He always did that.. he always knew how to do that.

"Did you want to leave me?" I was honestly afraid of what his answer might be.

"No. I never dreamed of it."