"Next!" said the person working the orders at the counter. You stepped up and placed your phone in your pocket. The person recognized you and placed your order in without having you say a word. You handed the gentleman your credit card and place it back into your wallet once you finished. You grabbed the hot cup which made your fingertips tingle upon contact and walked quickly out the door.

You had been working at your job for quite a long time ever since you moved to the city a year and a half ago. Day in and day out has been waking up, going to work, do some paperwork under some big company you work for, and then crashing on your bed as soon as you got home. Yes, it was chaos every time you had to get up and do the same thing, but you loved what you did and you keep working hard to reach higher than you've ever gone before. 

Your job was only two blocks down so you never had an issue walking, especially in high heels. You made your way into the entrance of the facility and took a sip of your coffee for the first time, not paying attention to where you were going. Another tallish figure emerged out of nowhere in front of you causing you to bump into them and spill your drink on the front of your black blazer. 

"Hey, watch it." said the figure. They turned around to reveal who was behind the voice suddenly yelling at you. He was around 5'9, rather short for the men who lived around here in New York City. He looked to be Italian and German and had his hair slicked back so no hairs would fall lazily onto his face with an undercut. He had greenish hazel eyes that matched perfectly with his caramel blonde hair. You could smell his musky vanilla cologne on his tuxedo that he had on neatly. His adorable nose didn't match his intimidating features on his face which him seem less scary to you. 

"Why don't you watch it. I'm already late and you just ruined my clothes. Classic Italians, everything isn't always about you." You stormed off, throwing the cup in the nearest garbage in an aggressive manner. You rolled your eyes and shouted curses and you pushed the double doors open and ran to the nearest bathroom to clean up.

The man stared at you in awe as you did because no one had ever stood up to him like that in a very long time. He had always come off as intimidating so it was a bit of a breather for him when someone had to balls to talk back. He shook his head and picked up the lip balm that you dropped from the pocket of your pants. He looked at it for quite some time in the lobby of the office as he waited for the elevator, examining the details and the aspects of it, pondering why you were different. He eventually got bored of the idea and just shook his head and placed the balm in the inner pocket of his tuxedo.

************

"Shit. I'm sorry I'm a bit late. I-" you stuttered as you reached the floor manager.

"No, that's completely fine because we just replaced you." he said as he gestured over to the girl who had already moved your stuff out of your usual office space.

"I don't understand. I have been here almost every day and never called in sick. I-"

"I never said you were getting fired, relax Y/N, you're completely fine." A sense of relief washed over yourself as the buildup of stress induced sweat ceased to come to your forehead. You nodded as your lips pursed together, eager to hear what he had to say. "The CEO is in need of a new secretary because the old one got fairly sick and had to quit. Anywho, can you fill the role?"

You looked at him. You had never been secretary in your life, hell you didn't even know what a secretary did. Your mind wandered to the possible opportunities in this new position and how you could get more sick or vacation days. 

"Hell yeah." you said raising your eyebrow quickly before letting it drop back down to its original position. The floor manager laughed as he shook your hand congratulating you on your new position and helped you grab all your stuff to bring up to the top floor of the building. The elevator ride up was quite long as you looked at the window of the glass room to the outside of the building. The morning sunrise was just above the Freedom Tower (the tallest tower in NYC) in the distance and you could see the several pigeons scurrying away from the crowded streets into the bright sky. You had to cover your eyes to hide your (e/c) from the bright sun as you continued to ascend up the building.