↳ CHAPTER THIRTEEN

MARIAH WAS ALWAYS cool and calm on cases, not one to let her nerves get the best of her, and this time was no exception

MARIAH WAS ALWAYS cool and calm on cases, not one to let her nerves get the best of her, and this time was no exception. Even when there were stress, anger, and anticipation pounding at her chest and head, her steps didn't falter and her breathing didn't quiver. She could partly thank the company — while she usually worked best alone, or with Kai, she was now teamed up with Chloe and Izzy, the three of them traveling down one of the streets in the neighborhood, while Maze and Dan, and Benji and Lucifer were roaming the other parts. With almost the whole team on the search for her nemesis, she could have faith that they'd manage to take him down together.

"That's pretty badass", Mariah noted while gesturing at the knife in Izzy's grasp, confidence in her grip even if she made sure to politely hide the weapon every time they knocked on a new door to inquire if anyone had seen Edwards around. In response to the rare praise received from the woman, Izzy flashed a grin and smugly twirled the knife around her finger.

"It's Maze's. We make a good crime-fighting duo but when we don't work together... I was fortunate enough to get one of her blades", the Holt elaborated, evidently proud of her relationship with Maze — and Mariah couldn't blame her. She was iffy to trust the apparent demon, but she did believe Izzy to be a good person, so how bad could her girlfriend really be?

They approached the next two houses in silence, bouncing back and forth the quaint, cozy street. So far, no one seemed to be aware of a wanted criminal in their midst, but Mariah was trying to take a page out of Kai's book and stay optimistic. With that same thought, she glanced over to Chloe with a reluctantly apologetic look, fully aware of how much she meant to the Nolan, and how harsh Mariah had been on her since the beginning. Maybe justifiably so, but there was no evidence that she was as mean as Mariah had expected, and therefore, the urge to extend an olive branch was far too great for her to resist.

"Hey, about what I said back at the precinct—", Mariah began, but already sensing what was to come, Chloe turned to her with a careful smile.

"I get it. You were just looking out for Kai", the Decker promised, a brief touch on Mariah's arm as she nodded, "I'm glad he has a friend like you."

Chuckling quietly enough for it to nearly drown in the tweeting of birds around them, Mariah glanced at her boots before giving Chloe a weak smile. "You're great for him too, you know. If he's forgiven you... then that's all that matters", the Rose assured, and after exchanging one more smile, they were walking up the driveway to another house.

"Amazing. I'm so lucky to witness this", Izzy piped up from behind them, her grin evident as she peeked over their shoulders with a proud hand on her heart. It made it difficult not to laugh, but as Mariah knocked on the door, they made sure to suppress the amusement.

When the door was gently opened by an elderly gentleman, Mariah made sure to greet him with a soft nod. "Afternoon, sir. We're with the LAPD, we're looking for this man", she cleared her throat before displaying the same photograph she had for the past thirty minutes — an unfairly flattering shot of the man that made her guts churn every time. Just looking at her made her sick, but she still remained stoic with the old man who leaned over to inspect the photo.