Chapter 54 (edited)

Start from the beginning

I took a breath. "I'm sorry.. it- it's not funny.. it's really not but.." I laughed again. "What the fuck was that?"

They looked at me, trying to understand what I meant.

I laughed some more. "We really fought monsters who thought they were god? Overthrowing a 'government'." I laughed harder, the realization had hit me and I thought it was very funny. "And.. and my friend died.. Two people died under my watch."

"Do you know how crazy that sounds?" I looked at them. Their faces beginning to liven up again. "Am I the only one conscious enough to question this reality?"

It started with Breda chuckling.

I straightened up. "This all started with us in one hospital room after the Colonel and Havoc were injured." I gestured to the room. "And now we're back in here..." I laughed. "In worse shape than when we started."

And then Falman broke.

And finally my laughter caught on and the rest of the room irrupted into hard laughter, except for Roy.

I took a breath and pointed at Falman. "You.. you were so scared when Bradley walked up to you on that gate."

"I know!" He wheezed. "I even called for the Colonel!"

Roy chuckled. "Did you really?"

He nodded and the room irrupted into even more laughter.

"Breda, you looked so serious when you thought we'd have to blame General Armstrong and her troops." Fury pointed at him.

"I know, I know." Breda could barely breathe.

I looked at Breda. "You were gonna have me AND Falman arrested?" My stomach hurt from how much I was laughing.

"I almost bled out." Riza piped up from her bed. Her laughs were strained from the wound on her neck, yet she still laughed.

"I lost my vision." I looked at Roy, who was finally having fun and laughing with us.

We laughed at how ridiculous the situation had turned out to be. It wasn't funny, it really wasn't, but the fact that we ended up here, like this, was hilarious.

"I lost an eye too." I pointed at my eyepatch.

The room irrupted into even more uncontrollable laughter.

Miles knocked on the door. "Is everything alright?" He sounded muffled.

We stopped laughing for a second and only laughed harder.

Finally the laughter died down.

I wiped a tear away. "Man, thats crazy." I chuckled, feeling my stomach ache from all the laughing.

"I haven't laughed like that in a long time." Breda was out of breath.

Falman smiled at me. "Thanks Devlin." I looked at him. "I think we all needed that."

The rest of the room nodded.

I smiled at them, feeling appreciated. Wow.. I guess I do have people to turn to.

I groaned as my shoulder hurt from the jolts of laughter my body had just experienced.

"Are you alright?" Fury looked at me, concerned.

I glanced at him. "Yeah, just a little sore."

"Y'know the eyepatch works for you." Breda examined my face. "You look like a real veteran now."

"Thaaaanks.."

"Believe me, no one would've taken your soft face for a war badass." I assumed he was talking about the Promised day battle and not the Ishval war.