Chapter 54 (edited)

Start from the beginning

I sighed. I will never get used to my new reality.

I secured the eyepatch once again and wheeled my IV to the door.

When I stepped out, I noticed Miles standing next to my bed. He looked up at me as I walked closer.

"Here." He held up Buccaneer's hardware nut on a chain.

I smiled sadly and took the chain from his hand. "Thank you.." I held the chain, looking it over.

I secured it around my neck, wincing at the annoying ache in my shoulder. I looked at it as it hung off my neck and rested on my chest.

I smiled, feeling comforted. I might have a scar to remind me of your death, but at least I'll have a reminder of all the good things about you.

"You have a couple meetings today." Miles' voice interrupted the sweet moment.

"Meetings?" Why do I need to see people? I'm perfectly fine in our little hospital room.

He hung a new Briggs coat around my shoulders, one that wasn't bloody and ripped. "You're needed somewhere."

"Come on." He guided me to the door and wheeled my IV out for me.

We walked down the hall and into an elevator, it brought us to a lower floor. We left the elevator and walked down a different hallway.

We stopped at a door and Miles knocked and then entered.

When I walked in I was met with Roy and Riza's face and the rest of the Mustang squad, except Havoc.

They all stared at me, faces lit up at my presence but a sense of pity entered the air. I walked in further, puzzled at the weird tension.

"We're sorry about Buccaneer." Riza spoke.

I shut my eyes taking a loooong breath.

That's the first thing you say to me?

I opened my eyes. "I am too."

"Hey." Falman walked up to me arms outstretched, he pulled me into him. I hugged him back, and he let go.

Miles placed a hand on my back. "I'll wait for you outside." I nodded, and he left the room.

Roy scoffed as the door closed I looked at him, he sat with his arms crossed, this pissy look on his face.

I looked back at Riza, looking for an explanation. She shook her head at me, and I brushed it off.

"How are you feeling?" Fury asked.

I walked closer to them, joining the group. "Sore." I chuckled awkwardly. "I guess not eating and not sleeping before a battle wasn't a good idea."

The rest of the group just smiled, except Roy.

I glanced at him. I almost pitied him. He's really blind. My heart ached for him. All of me ached for him.

"How about you guys?" I glanced around the room.

"I'm fine, a little sore." Riza spoke up.

I smiled at her and glanced at Roy, who just sat there. He ignored the question.

My smile dropped and I stared at the ground, but I could tell the rest of the group shared glances with each other.

The atmosphere felt so warm and comforting and yet there was a hint of dismay.

I ignored it and chuckled, smiling again. I tried my best not to laugh but my chuckles turned into laughter anyways.

The way the rest were staring at me.. like I'd lost my mind.. maybe I had.