Chapter 53 (edited)

Start from the beginning

I looked at Miles. I know you're just as sad as I am.

He was deep in thought and he held a lot of tension in his shoulders. He's holding a lot back.

I shifted myself close to the edge and gestured for him to come closer.

He leaned forward and I grabbed his sleeve, pulling him to sit on the bed. He sat on the edge and I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him.

"I know you're holding it back Miles. You don't have to, not when you're with me." I spoke softly.

He weakly hugged me back and buried his face into my shoulder; I felt him tremble.

My eyes watered, feeling both his pain and my own pain.

A few minutes passed before he pulled away and went back to his chair.

I wiped my face, sniffling lightly. The atmosphere in the room was... sad and quiet. It felt even lonelier knowing that he wasn't around anymore.

"What time is it?" I looked at him.

"9:30 pm."

I nodded. "How long was I out?"

He took a breath. "Two days. I didn't leave your side."

"Thank you, for not leaving me." I was genuinely thankful for that.

"You lost a lot of blood, and the stress you underwent is what caused you to pass out." He explained.

I nodded. "Oh." Not to mention that I also didn't sleep or eat that day-

The hardware nuts!

Where's my jacket?

I looked around the room, on the chairs, on the tables, next to my bed.

"Where's my jacket? Did they throw it away?" I looked at him.

He got up and opened a closet, throwing my bloody uniform and jacket onto the bed.

So he didn't let them throw it away.

He watched me grab my jacket and dig in the pocket, pulling out a hardware nut.

"Catch." I tossed it to him.

He caught it. "What's this?"

"Hardware nut, from his automail." I watched him examine it. I pulled my own out and showed him.

He sat at the end of my bed, looking at it. "Thank you..."

"Of course.." I bit the inside of my cheek. "He wanted me to tell you.."

He looked at me.

"I won."

I watched as he slowly realized what that meant. He quickly lowered his head, avoiding my gaze.

I pulled myself closer and sat next to him, holding his hand. Once again, tears filled my eyes. "What will we ever do without our Buccy?"

"I'm just as lost as you are Devlin."

We sat together, a hot mess of.. sadness and grief.

I relaxed against him, my head on his shoulder. "How will we survive this?"

"We will, somehow." He squeezed my hand.

We sat together for a moment before I straightened up, taking a shaky breath. "You should get some rest."

He looked at me.