Chapter 53 (edited)

Start from the beginning

I looked around the room. "Where's Bucc-" My breath hitched.

No way...

I shut my eyes, feeling my face heat up with emotion and of course, I started tearing up. I tried to hold back my cries, but I couldn't.

I covered my mouth, trying my hardest to drown them out. Everything was terrible and my whole body ached

That blissful moment of peace after waking up before everything hits you like bricks had come and gone.

I was tired.

And shattered.

Miles held my hand and lowered his head, waiting for me to finish.

I took a jagged breath and wiped my face. "It's..." I chuckled. "It's real.."

"I wanted so badly for it to not be... I wanted to go back to Briggs. I wanted to be with you and Buccaneer again. I wanted..."

I wiped my face. "It's silly."

"It's not." Miles handed me a box of tissues. "You wanted to be with friends again, that's not silly."

I shifted in my bed, propping myself up.

He handed me water. I took the glass and drank all of it, my throat was dry. He handed me another, I drank that up as well.

He set the glass on the night side table. "Before you ask, no, I'm not taking you to see him at the morgue."

I was disappointed. "Why?"

"You're injured and hurting. You don't need to see him right now. You need rest." He sounded calm.

"Right.." I turned away.

"Tell me what happened."

My heart sank. "Didn't you get the story from Falman? Or Smith?"

He nodded. "I did. But I want it from you."

My jaw tightened.

"He was my friend too." He took his glasses off and looked directly at me.

That's right... I shut my eyes.

I swallowed hard before. "Bradley was too fast for me to pinpoint so... I wasn't very helpful. And Buccaneer stepped up, alone of course."

I hesitated for the next part. "He... Bradley stabbed him and, forces from Xing and Greed the Homunculus helped us."

"I..." I shut my eyes, trying hard to throw back my emotion. "I... pulled my attention away...." My voice broke with emotion anyways. "Away for a few seconds and..."

I sighed, feeling the tears roll down my cheek. "He pulled the sword out and stabbed both an old man and Bradley." I took a breath. "After that... after that time stopped and..."

I shook my head. "Anyways, Greed helped us keep the gate closed. He's the only reason we kept it secured. I'll write it in a report for you."

Miles sat back in his chair, processing the story.

The room was quiet.

A lonely quiet.

Our infamous Briggs trio wasn't a trio anymore, I know for a fact Buccaneer would be in here with us. He'd probably get in the bed with me.

There would no longer be three of us in the same room. No more planning attacks together, no more laughing together, no more drinking together.... no more being together.