Chapter One: America's Suitehearts

Start from the beginning

   "And I won't tell your mom that you've been sneaking out in the middle of the night for joy rides in my car." I added for good measure. She hastily agreed after that.

   Later in the day we met him. We were shocked to learn that they had been dating for a while before she introduced us. He seemed like a nice enough guy. . . until I caught him staring at her ass any time she turned around. I had to hold Pete back from beating him to pulp right then and there. As much as I would've loved to let him, I knew she would never forgive us for it.

   The next day we attempted to give her 'The Talk'. I say attempted because Pete couldn't stop laughing at all the worst times and I'm pretty sure I was beet red the whole time. We eventually gave up on it when she wouldn't hear another word. I still feel the relief of not having to talk about it even now. Things were normal for a while after that and I was content.

   Then it all went downhill.

   I got into a big fight with her two days before she left. I told her to leave her boyfriend or I was sending her home. She wasn't having it.

   "I mean it, Stella. All you've done is distract me and I have a ton of work to do." I held out my hand and listed them on my fingers as I went along. "I have to work on the Cobra Starship album, work on our next album, hold rehearsals, keep Elisa happy enough throughout this whole tour so she won't leave me, and make sure you stay out of trouble!" I finished, running out of breath at just the right moment.

   "Did anyone ask you to babysit me? I'm fourteen years old. I think I can take care of myself!" she yelled at me.

   "I don't care! I don't want you going out with that guy. There's only one thing guys his age want and you are not about to give it to him."

   "How would you know?"

   "Because I was his age not too long ago and I know what's on his mind. Do not go out with him. I forbid it."

   "You're not someone to be telling me who I can and can't see! I can do whatever I want with whoever I want to do it with!" With that, she slammed the door, leaving me with the angriest feeling I've ever had. The dressing room walls felt like they had heard every word we screamed and were leaning in to listen.

   I kicked the side of the couch which I immediately regretted. Thoughts ran through my head about what might happen, which didn't help my mood. I hated how she'd been acting since they started dating. I never acted that way when I was her age. Maybe I was being too hard on her. She's a smart girl. She could take care of herself. . . right?

   We didn't see her at all the next day.

   "She's probably hanging out with him." Andy said, spinning his drumsticks in his hands.

   "Yeah I heard they were going to spend the day at the mall." Joe chimed in, not bothering to look up from tuning his guitar. "I think she said she was going to the hotel afterwards to get ready for a movie they're going to see tonight. You can try there if you're looking for her."

   So that's where we headed. We walked to her hotel room to apologize for how we had been acting but she wasn't answering the door.

   Pete knocked on the door. "Stella? You there? It's us. Open up." Still, she didn't answer. Until we heard groaning.

   Pete and I looked at each other in confusion before pressing our ears to the door and listening intently.

   Another groan.

   "I swear to God, Pat, if he beat her up and left her for dead I'm going to hunt him down and kill him." I had never seen Pete so angry before that day, or after for that matter. Then again, Stella was like a daughter to him. If anyone messed with her he would take them down.