The Parents' Points Predicament

Start from the beginning

"Captain and Mrs

"Captain and Mrs. Rogers! We were not expecting you so soon!" A social worker greeted you both at the front door of the adoption facility. "You're parenting packet was only just mailed out last week!" The social worker smiled at you both. "My name is Gretta St. James. I'm the social worker in charge of your points management. I know that you have received a full packet of points, marking you as top tier parents. That means that you pretty much have the pick of the litter!"

You were sure that Gretta's slight chuckle and grin were meant to be welcoming, but given the fact that you and Steve were there to essentially buy children, her expression appeared to you both as sinister. Still you followed Gretta inside and allowed her to lead you on a tour of the facility.

"And this room, is where we house our especially gifted children." Gretta stopped at a door marked one million points.

"I don't think that will be necessary." Steve stopped her as her hand reached for the doorknob of the one million room.

"Oh?" She paused in confusion.

"I think the Missus and I have already decided how we'd like to spend our parent points." Steve put an arm around your shoulder and smiled.

"Oh? Well that's fantastic. Was it the twins from the five hundred thousand wing? They are both linguistic geniuses, they would make a fine addition..."

"No, I'm sorry." Steve offered a kind smile to the social worker. "We'd like to have another look down this way if that's alright?"

"Well, of course." Gretta nodded, but you could tell she was confused as to why you and Steve would turn down such expensive and inspiring children. Steve led the way past the dozens of suites that housed children each worth hundreds of thousands of points. As your group turned down next section of corridors you watched the kids point values drop to thousands and then simply hundreds.

Your heart broke as you reached the 100 points area. Where the high points children where housed in rooms comparable to luxury hotels, the 100 point kids were all stuffed into a single room. The high pointers were given textbooks, computers and countless resources, but the 100 point kids had only wooden blocks. There were only two large beds for the six of them to share. The room was poorly lit and the children appeared malnourished.

"Oh Steve." You whispered, instinctively grabbing him by the arm.

"I know, Doll." He whispered back, taking in the same sight that you were.

"Oh Mr. and Mrs. Rogers you don't want to adopt any of thosechildren." Gretta shook her head.

"Why not?" Steve scowled.

"Well, they are our 100 point children." She scoffed as if the answer should be obvious. "It's just that people like..."

"People like us?" Steve growled.

"Yes Mr. Rogers..."

"Captain." He barked at her.

"Captain Rogers, people such as you and your wife should not be seen with 100 point children!" It was clear from her expression that Gretta was horrified. "These children are here in this place because they either lack the intelligence, integrity or behavioral prowess."

"They're children." You interrupted. "You're holding them to an impossible standard that most adults could not achieve."

"I did not create the parent points system, Mrs. Rogers." Gretta frowned. "It's simply my job to enforce the policies put in place by the government. Now, according to the rigorous grading system set forth by the state these children are valued 100 points because they are not capable of..."

"We'll take them all." Steve interrupted. "All six of them and the three 200 hundred point kids in the next room."

"Nine children?" Gretta's eyes opened wide.

"Yes." You nodded. "And we'll be transferring the remainder of our parent points to Bruce Banner and Natasha Romanoff."

"I'm sorry Mrs. Rogers but that would be impossible. Transferring parent points is only permitted within families." Gretta didn't seem the least bit sorry.

"That should be fine then, since Natasha is my sister." You told her.

"She is?" Gretta asked skeptically.

"She is?" Steve mouthed to you behind the social worker's back.

"Yes, and its my understanding that since the parent points laws were passed, social workers are not allowed to dispute familial claims as long as both parties are in agreement. Meaning as long as Natasha also claims me as her sister..."

"We would have no reason not to transfer the remainder of your points to Dr. Banner and Ms. Romanoff. I can personally take care of the transfer myself." Gretta offered you and Steve a weak smile. "Would you like to meet the children while I go prepare the paperwork?"