When Was The Last Time You Slept?

Words: 365

Words: 365

Pairing: Steve Rogers x Reader 

Other Characters: Bucky Barnes & Sam Wilson 

Prompt: "When was the last time you slept?"

"When was the last time you slept?" You heard the voice first and then felt a warm hand on your shoulder

"When was the last time you slept?" You heard the voice first and then felt a warm hand on your shoulder. You reached across your chest and put your left hand over Sam's.

"I'm fine." You promised. "It's him we have to worry about." How long had it been since you'd taken your eyes off of Steve's unconscious form? Definitely more than a couple hours. Eight maybe? Twelve? It couldn't have been more than twenty-seven. But the truth was you had no way of knowing for sure.

"That's not what I asked you." Sam's disapproval was obvious. "He wouldn't want to see you like this. He'd tell you to get your rest." Your left hand slid back into its place atop Steve's. He was still laying there; motionless.

"I-I can't leave him, Sam." You shook your head. The watery tears in your eyes already threatening to spill over onto your cheeks. "He was alone when he woke up the last time." You said in barely a whisper. "I don't want him to be alone again."

"I'll stay with him." Sam promised. "I won't let him out of my sight. But you have to eat something and get some sleep."

"Sam I can't..."

"You have to." A new voice insisted from the doorway. You looked over your shoulder to see Bucky standing there. "Let me take you to get something to eat. Wilson will keep an eye on ol' Stars and Stripes while we're gone."

"Buck..."

"I'm not taking no for an answer [Y/n]." He waited patiently for you at the door. Neither Sam nor Bucky said anything more, just their eyes were urging you. These two men, who were once just your boyfriend's two closest friends, had become like protective older brothers to you. If anyone besides Steve could understand how you were feeling in that moment it was Sam and Bucky.

"Hold his hand for me, will you?" You asked Sam as you got to your feet. He nodded in agreement already reaching out to replace your shaking fingers.

"We'll be back in a few. Call if anything changes." Bucky wrapped an arm around your shoulders protectively before escorting you out of the room.