Chapter 48 - Recalled

Start from the beginning

Yes, the Doctor will keep his word. But you don't trust him to keep it the way you want it to be kept. 

"Hmm," the Doctor hums in gentle, haughty laughter. "You've lost your faith in me? Well, my dear, we both know you can do something about that now, don't we?"

Your jaw drops. It had been against protocol to use your powers on any of the HYDRA staff, punishable by death. You had lived in fear of ever violating that rule, intentionally or accidentally, for three years. And now your tormentor invites you to use your Perception on him?

"You heard me," he says once more, his cold, emotionless voice catching like an iron rod in your chest. "Go on. Do it. Now."

You close your eyes, and open your Perception, reaching out for the Doctor's mind. "If I go with you, will you leave everyone here unharmed and in peace?"

"Yes."

You search his emotions...seeking any sign of deception. But his emotions run smooth, like glassy waters. Disturbed only by tiny ripples of content amusement. You're stunned to find he's telling the truth.

"Satisfied?" he asks.

Reluctantly, you close the link and nod. The two HYDRA agents beside you release the bindings around your knees and ankles, and allow you to stand. The Doctor bends down to speak to Lila, gesturing for the HYDRA agent holding the knife to her neck to back away.

"Don't touch her!" you snap. "You promised."

The Doctor simply casts a cruel smile at you before turning his attention back to the small tiny brunette. "Come here, girl. You are going to sit right here on this chair. And you are going to stay still and quiet until the sun comes up. Do not move. Do not cry. Do you understand?"

Lila shakes her head rapidly as her tiny shoulder shakes with silent sobs.

"Good girl," the Doctor says, picking up Lila and setting her in the rocking chair in the corner of the room. "Let us depart," he says, turning back to you. "We have a plane to catch."

The agent at your side pulls you roughly from your bed, giving you a shove. Your footing falters, but you catch yourself just as another shove sends you several steps forward, following after the Doctor. But you ignore the rough treatment, and stop just short of the door to kneel next to Lila, who has started crying aloud.

"No sudden movements," one of the HYDRA agents whispers quietly, shoving a firearm in your back.

"She's a child," you hiss. "She's scared. Give me a moment to calm her, or the whole house will wake up."

The HYDRA official looks to the Doctor, who rolls his eyes but gives a small nod.

"Everything's okay," you say, offering Lila a gentle smile. "I'm going to go now, and I'm taking these men with me, okay? When your daddy wakes up you tell him I went with my...friends," you say through grit teeth.

Lila sniffles and nods.

You lean forward, looking like you're giving the small girl a comforting embrace to the best of your ability, with your wrists bound behind your back, but before you pull away, you whisper a single word in her ear.

"Tahiti."

-----

It's dark. Cold. Steady drops of water hit the concrete floor one after another. Drip. Drip. Drip. It makes you think of Nine, and his bright blue eyes. You had seen them once or twice through a crack in the corner of your neighbored cells. Each time you caught a glimpse of them, you had been reminded of the sky. You wonder what happened to him. But you don't wonder for long before you're too tired to think of anything but the pain in your joints. In your head. In your palms. Everything hurts. Your body. Your mind.