Chapter 52 (edited)

Start from the beginning

My heart ached watching him cry and I felt his body tremble under my hand. I had never seen Ed cry.

I kept my eyes on him, however I could tell Hohenheim was just as upset as Ed.

"I'm sorry.. Forgive me."

Ed grunted even louder, he was about to stand up but stopped when I applied pressure to his shoulder, I kept him in place.

I leaned towards him. "Easy now, kid." I spoke softly. "Wipe your tears."

He wiped his face and looked back at Al. He glanced around and landed on Riza and Roy, and then he looked at me.

I smiled wanting to give him hope. "If anyone can figure this out Ed, it's you."

He looked away from me and he relaxed, he looked down at his hands unclenching his fists.

And then a smile grew on his face.

I looked away from him, putting my attention on the little girl across from us. She was bowing and crying. "Alphonse... oh Alphonse.." She trembled. "Poor Alphonse..." She cried louder.

My eyes saddened and my heart hurt for her. I guess she cares a lot for Alphonse.

I looked up as Ed stood up.

"Major, stand back a little and take Mai with you." He looked down at me, a smile on his face.

I nodded. "Okay."

I stood up and walked over to the girl. "Come on." I held my hand out.

But before she could grab my hand Ed walked away, grabbing a stick and outlining a circle in the dirt; it made me smile.

But then my smile dropped when I realized it was a human transmutation circle. That's not what I meant!

He threw the stick. "I'll be back in a few minutes. This is my last transmutation."

"Edward..." I stepped towards him.

He turned to me, holding his arms out. "Stand back and enjoy the show."

He clapped his hands and transmuted himself.

"Edward!" I yelled at him.

"Stop Ed!"

"Elric!"

"No Edward Elric!"

And he was gone.

I stood still processing what just happened. This kid... after all that.. he still transmuted himself? What's he going to do? Offer himself?

The only thing I could hear was my shaky breath and pounding heart.

Everyone stood still in anticipation.

I snapped myself out of it and turned back to the girl. "Are you hurt?" I held my hand out.

She shook her head no and looked up at me. "What do you think Edwards doing?"

I felt a million eyes on as soon as the question left her mouth, people standing around waiting for my answer, as if I knew. How could I possibly know?

I took a breath. "Saving his brother." I simply answered, because that's probably what he was doing.

"How?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. I've never been to the other side."

She fell silent at my response.

A few minutes later and Ed returned with Al's real body.