XXV

The way back to Cair Paravel was even better than the ride out. Peter stayed close to me. Well, as close as our two horses would allow without stumbling over each other. Golden beams of light peeked through the leaves, highlighting small bits of shrubbery beneath. The scene was simply magical as the king and I made our way slowly back towards Cair Paravel. Savoring every second spent together. Peter smiled brightly as we walked next to one another, obviously pleased that his confession had gone the way he wanted it too. 

"What are you looking at?" I laughed as Peter narrowly avoided a low branch because his eyes had been glued to me. "I'm looking at you!" He grinned back as he struggled to righten himself in the saddle. "Such beauty cannot go unappreciated." "You were always quite the poet, weren't you?" I giggled, pushing more leaves out of my way as I studied his all too familiar features. Peter seemed to grow more and more attractive every time I looked at him. Narnia had done wonders for the king, who sat up straight in his saddle holding his head high with confidence. The boy I knew in Finchley had blossomed into a passionate, brave young man who stole my heart just like the fairytales I read as a child. I cleared my throat awkwardly when he caught me staring and motioned to the clearing ahead. "We're nearly there." 

Just then, it occurred to me that the sudden striking love between the two of us might not go over well with the court as well as the other king and queens. "You know Peter, maybe it's best we keep this between us, just for now at least. I mean with the ball in just a few days I don't think now is the best time to announce ourselves to the public. Our timing was definitely not favorable." I said with a small smile, not knowing how he would react. He pondered my words for a moment before speaking "A secret romance? How daring." "Peter, I'm serious!" Scolding him was absolutely impossible when any simple movement made my heart sing. "So am I! We'll tell them when the time is right." He nodded. I was thankful the lighthearted king understood my concern. Unfortunately for us, we weren't simply two young kids in love, we were two young kids in love with the weight of ruling a kingdom heavy upon our shoulders. It was moments like these that we managed to escape our duties to be together. 

Mentally, I was face palming at the fact that I doubted Peter's feelings for me. As if spending the night together in his bed along with helping him get dressed wasn't a big enough hint. Just as we broke through the trees and stepped out into the dying light of the sun, Peter turned to me with a wild grin. "Race you?" He asked, but before I could respond he kicked his horse into a lope. Shooting across the expanse of long grass like on of Susan's arrows. "Peter Pevensie you are such an idiot." I mumbled as I watched him retreat into the distance. I didn't even need to nudge Sinbad to get him to chase after Peter. In no time, I rushed past Peter on his horse. Feeling playful, I twisted in the saddle and blew the king a kiss as I left him in the dust yet again. 

We arrived back at the palace in no time, quickly handing off our horses to a few nymphs who were waiting for us in the stables. They smiled at the realization that it was just Peter and I who had gone riding but didn't dare say anything. We stumbled through the palace halls, drunk on each other's presence. Laughing and smiling as we made our way back to the confines of our offices. Peter had slipped his hand into mine and now our arms swung back and forth as we approached the end of the hall. Golden sunlight glinted off of the intricate chandeliers and wall decorations. Making the palace glow like the fading embers of a fireplace. Once we reached our offices, I turned to Peter just before we went our separate ways. 

"Well, I guess I'll see you at dinner." I sighed, pulling him in for a hug. His arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me tightly to his chest as he buried his face in my shoulder. He only spoke once we had pulled back from each other. "My room tonight?" He said with a cheeky smile. Brushing a few hairs away from my face with his fingertips. "As lovely as that sounds, I'm afraid my presence has been requested by Queen Susan." I smiled. Peter sighed and rolled his eyes, "Royal duties, is it?" I could tell by his smile that he had caught on to our cover story. "Definitely." I winked. Peter brought my hand gently to his lips and placed a delicate kiss on my skin. "I'll see you at supper then, my queen." With that, Peter backed away. A proud grin on his face as he disappeared into his office. I did the same and quickly rushed into the safety of my own workspace before collapsing against the door with a huge smile.

I tried my best to contain my excitement in silence as I spun around the room like a child trying on her mother's clothing. After my little shenanigan, I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down. Once pulled together, I took off my circlet and placed it on my desk. Collapsing in my chair as I began to run my fingers through my hair to get rid of the tangles. Biting my lip at the memory of Peter's mouth on mine, my heart sang like a songbird perched in the treetops. Everything became something out of a storybook while my mind replayed the days events over and over again. 

Unfortunately, I couldn't focus on any of my work. Papers stared back at my blankly waiting to be filled out or filed. The quills on my desk stood patiently for me to pick one up. The book of languages that I had selected a few days ago sat unopened on the edge of the table. Smacking my forehead a few times, I tried to rid myself of the handsome king but to no avail. It seemed that wherever I looked, I saw him. My bookshelves recalled the memory of him tracing the spines of the old novels delicately with his fingertips. The shriveled flower on the edge of my desk brought up the image of him tucking it delicately behind my ear before smiling contently. Even my own body betrayed me as I remembered how he had held my hands so gently, yet so protectively. I found myself staring blankly at some government paper. My chin resting in my palm as I sighed deeply like a lovesick fool. What was going on? One day with the boy that I had fancied for a year or so and I had nearly fallen apart.

My unproductive daydreaming was interrupted by a knock at the door. Jolting at the sudden sound, I quickly picked up a pen to make it look as if I had been working before telling the visitor to enter. A small, rosy faced, dark haired faun poked his darling little face around the door. "I've come to collect you for supper, my lady. High King Peter sent me." As soon as his last sentence left his lips, the poor thing paled and slapped a small hand over his mouth. "Oh dear, I wasn't supposed to say that. High King Peter specifically told me not to tell you he sent me and look what I've done. I've spoiled everything, stupid stupid stupid." He cried, during his face in his hands. 

I rushed out from behind my desk and knelt in front of him like a concerned mother. Ever so gently, I pulled his arms away from his now wet cheeks. Wiping them with my sleeve before speaking, "Now, now, it's alright darling. You haven't ruined anything." I said with a smile, blushing at the fact that Peter was the one looking for me. "I haven't?" He sniffed. His green eyes glistening with tears. "Absolutely not." I reassured him. "But High King Peter said-" "Never mind what King Peter said, he isn't here, is he?" The faun looked around frantically, as if Peter had been listening on the entire time. "No." He mumbled. "Well then we've got nothing to worry about. Now, I believe I'm missing a royal escort. Would you care to fill in for the night?" The faun's mouth dropped open, "Me? Your escort my lady?" He said shocked. "Of course! I could think of no one else noble enough to fulfill the position." I smiled, rising from my knee and watching happily as the faun stuck out his chest proudly as he strutted towards the dining hall. I didn't have the heart to tell him that a nightly supper escort was most definitely not an official position in the royal household.