Chapter 45 - Ribbons and Trust Issues

Start from the beginning

"I'm not lying to you," you frown, pulling away from his touch.

Loki smirks and reaches for you once more, wrapping his arm around your waist as he pulls you close. "If I recall, my love, by your own definition omission counts as a lie in this brave new world."

"How very Orwellian of me," you grumble under your breath. "Fine," you say. "I'm going to see Agent May."

Loki tenses, and as you predicted he pulls away with a look of displeasure as he snatches his undershirt from your hand faster than you can react, pulling it over his head. "Then in this case I must insist I accompany you," he seethes.

"You can't, Loki."

"It's not up for discussion. The last time you went on a mission without me, I almost lost you. I'm going. MARVIN - call Stark and -"

"It's JARVIS," you grin, stifling a chuckle.

Loki rolls his eyes and lets out an annoyed sigh. "JARVIS - alert Stark that I intend to accompany the Avengers on their mission."

"Right away, Pretty Boy."

"Excuse me?" Loki says, nostrils flaring with rage. "How dare you mock me, voice! I am a God! You are nothing!" He shouts up at the ceiling, seething with early morning anger.

You are barely able to stifle your laughter as Loki grows so flustered he nearly puts his shirt on backwards. Taking advantage of his emotional state, you place a calming hand on his chest, guiding him back to the bed.

"Loki, please, it'll be an easy mission - we're just going to SHIELD HQ. There's really no reason for you to get so worked up. Stay here, and be nice to Banner, please? I'll see you when I get home."

"How can I know you'll be safe this time?" he argues, resisting your gentle pushes.

"Because the team will be with me. And I'll be in a controlled, secure, SHIELD facility," you answer.

"And I'm supposed to take your word that this facility is secure?" Loki questions. "I was able to break into one of these secure SHIELD facilities myself only weeks ago."

"But I bet you had to use your Jötunn powers to be successful, didn't you?" Loki's lips press together in an agitated, thin line. But he doesn't deny your assertion. "See?" you say. "Relax. Everything's going to be fine. You gotta trust me. Please."

Loki eyes you warily, but allows you to push him back into your bed until he is sitting on the edge, messy dark locks tumbling over his shoulders. Once satisfied that he is resigned to staying, you sit briefly at your dresser, and consider what to do with your hair. After your healing sessions with Eir, your hair continued to grow for several days upon returning to Earth. Longer than you're used to, you're left with few options and begin pulling it into a tight braid. Satisfied that it's out of your face, you grab your go-bag from the floor near your dresser, blowing Loki a kiss on your way out the door.

"Wait," Loki calls after you, rising from the bed once more.

"Loki, I'm not discussing this with you further. You need to -."

"Hush, love," Loki says, as he grasps the sleeve cuff with both hands, ripping it once clean through, tearing a long, even piece of gold fabric from his own shirt.

"Loki! What the hell are you doing?" You gasp, running over and taking his ruined shirt from his hands.

"Shhh," Loki hushes you, taking your hand and guiding you to the edge of the bed. Gesturing for you to sit, you obey, and feel Loki gently begin to weave the long, thin piece of golden fabric through your braid, beginning at the top, and pulling it through to the bottom, tying it in a small, discreet bow.