“Please?”

I thought about it. Would it be so horrible to go home for Christmas? I thought back to my last night there, the fight I had with my parents, what it felt like to be physically back there…

It was draining.

It hurt way too much.

“I can’t. I already told them I’d be here and…”

“Then what about New Years?” my brother sounded way too hopeful.

It broke my heart, it really did. I looked over at the picture Mark gave me for my birthday this year, the five of us. I missed it. I missed how easy it used to be. A tear trickled down my face and I looked back at the floor.

“Why don’t you both come see me for New Years? We can go to Time Square and watch the ball drop…”

“Really?” Sophie sounded really excited. “Oh that would be so much fun!”

“I’ll have to ask Mom and Dad,” Sebastis said quietly.

“They’ll say yes.”

“You really think so?”

“Yes. I’m pretty sure they would. And Luke will be here by then, it would be perfect.”

“Oh, we could call Mark!” Sophie said. “We could have a mini reunion! Count me in!”

I chuckled. “I have a feeling I’m going to have to get more inflatable mattresses.”

Someone was pounding on my door. This shouldn’t be happening for one because there was no one on the floor but me. All my fellow recruits had vacated a good week ago. I groaned and got out of bed. It was Christmas morning, and I’d decided, as a gift to myself, to sleep in till noon.

I didn’t get it because it was eight.

“What?!” I yelled as I pulled open the door.

Gregori stood there, a smile plastered on his face and a cartoon pattern wrapped gift under his arm.

“Jesus.” I huffed and leaned against the door. “Someone better be dead or you’ll be dead.”

“MERRY CHRISTMAS!”

“Jesus Christ, I hate you.”

I tried to slam the door in his face but he pushed it aside and walked in like he owned the place.

“What do you want?” I whined. “No training today, you promised.”

“I’m not here because of training.”

“Then why are you here?”

I stood there in my usual sleep attire since I lived alone, panties and a t-shirt. Not a damn thing else. He plopped down on my couch and looked around, completely ignoring the annoyed stance I was holding.

“We’re starting the day.” He looked me over. “You should get dressed. It’s cold outside.”

I shook my head. “I’m throwing you out and then going back to bed.”

“You are cranky! Where’s your holiday spirit?”

I glared at him. “The Evil Christmas elf stole it last night along with my tree, eggnog, mistletoe, and presents. Sadly Cindy Lou Who didn’t come along to convince the elf what he was doing was wrong. Lock the door on your way out.”

I shuffled over to my bed and crawled back in, turning away from him so I didn’t have to talk. He was in a chatty mood this morning. We weren’t supposed to meet up until lunch and here he was, early. I heard him get up from the couch and then the horrible wrapping paper was suddenly all I could see.