Today, Jackie wore a white cotton bonnet to shield her from the sun, though it also covered her beautiful white blonde hair. Susanna liked to think that perhaps Jackie might have inherited some of her features from her aunt as both Jack and Claire had dark hair. Cecily had told Susanna that her hair was quite the same shade when she was born.

Jack left Claire's side to come to Susanna, and he kissed her on the cheek. "How are you?" he asked quietly.

Susanna looked up at her brother with a frustrated frown. "Mother wants me to accept Lord Bertram," she uttered. "I shan't, of course. But I fear I will never hear the end of it."

"Well, Claire and I are here to shield you. You are not to worry," assured Jack. "Point this Lord Bertram out to me and I shall accidentally push him into The Serpentine."

Susanna could not conceal the giggle that escaped her lips as she visualised Jack pushing Lord Bertram into the lake. Certainly, she could not condone something so cruel, however she was tempted.

They walked altogether into Hyde Park and were met with sights of jugglers and entertainers in colourful costumes. There were stalls set up flogging various sweet treats, and dozens of competition games. All around were couples walking together, flanked closely by their chaperones, and Susanna found herself truly hoping that at least some of these people might find satisfaction in the matches that they had forged.

"Ah, Lady Susanna!"

Susanna's head turned reluctantly to the direction that her name was called. She then saw Lord Bertram walking towards their party, waving his hand.

"We aren't near The Serpentine, but there is a juggler over there with fire batons. Shall I set his breeches alight?" Jack whispered in Susanna's ear.

Susanna gasped just as Lord Bertram joined them. As much as Susanna did not think of him as a romantic prospect, he was not a wholly unpleasant man, nor did he deserve to have his breeches set on fire. He was lean and of average height, perhaps a few inches taller than Susanna, and a thick head of auburn hair.

"Lord Bertram," greeted Susanna half-heartedly. "What a surprise to see you here."

"But of course, my lady," Lord Bertram bowed his head. "And how do you do this morning, Your Grace?" he asked Cecily.

Cecily smiled. "I am well, Lord Bertram. I am certain Lady Susanna is pleased to have this opportunity to revisit certain conversations. Please allow me to introduce my son, Lord Jack Beresford, his wife, Lady Claire, and little Miss Beresford."

Jack barely managed a grimace while Claire politely greeted Lord Bertram.

"I am pleased to meet family," replied Lord Bertram. "But you are not the duke, sir? You are not Lady Susanna's eldest brother?"

"No, I am not the one in control of her dowry if that is what you are asking," muttered Jack.

"Pardon me?" frowned Lord Bertram.

"Jack!" hissed Cecily under her breath. "Oh, you will have to forgive my son. He has been terribly busy these last months. He is a publisher, you know. Beresford Press. Perhaps you have heard of it? Their first manuscript is currently being printed. I am certain Lady Susanna would be happy to procure you a copy."

Unluckily for Susanna, Jackie's presence was not enough to distract her mother. Luckily for Susanna, Cecily herself spent much of their visit to the faire conversing with Lord Bertram that all Susanna had to do was wander behind them alongside the baby carriage.

Susanna did manage to enjoy herself, and much because of the fact that Claire was so delighted with the festivities. Susanna often took for granted the opportunities that she had been afforded.