Prologue

I was standing inside the general’s office waiting for him to return. The last two weeks were spent packing and getting ready for our trip. The guys were outside loading our bags into the back of Luke’s keep. I rubbed my left stump slowly, ignoring the soft throbbing pain shooting up and down.

The door opened suddenly and I jump to attention. “Colonel McKenna.” He said nodding at me. “General Knight, sir.”

“I hear that you, Jason, Sam, John and Luke are taking a trip up to Montana.”

“That’s right sir. I’d like my family to meet my best friends, just in case.”

“In case of what Colonel?”

“I have a feeling that the guys next mission something wrong will happen. I…” I stop speaking and shrug. “I just want to spend more time with them before they leave.”

“I hear congratulations are in order for you and Captain Stella.”  I nod once and smile briefly. “Sir, before I go I just want to say that it was an honor to serve under you. And if I could do it all over again, I wouldn’t change a thing, sir.” He shook my hand and smiled. “Same here Colonel. I hope that you have a good time with your guys.”

General Knight pulls an envelope from the top drawer and hands it to me. “Here’s your discharge papers Colonel. I must say that we’ll miss you around here Ace.” I shake his hand, salute him and walk out of his office. As I stepped into the parking lot, I smile when I see the guys horsing around.

“Alright guys, let’s hit the road. We have a long way to go.” Luke helped me into the passenger seat as the others climbed into the back seat. As I pulled the door closed, the sunlight caught the small ruby in my engagement ring and I smiled. Luke jumps behind the wheel and we leave the base. I had to admit that I was a little nervous about seeing my family again after so long. But I was just as excited as well.