ONE

**READERS - as in the past with my stories, I would appreciate any feedback, especially if you see an error, please point it out to me. Thanks!

Montana, 1877

"You did what?"

Victoria Swanson's voice carried through the nearly empty house as she stood in front of her sister, staring at her in shock. Lydia sat on the parlor sofa, twisting her hands in her lap as she stared back at Victoria with wide eyes. Her sister appeared very determined, and Victoria knew the young woman was hardheaded, as well. They were only one year apart, but Victoria thought Lydia was prettier and more mature-looking.

"You do not need to raise your voice at me, Toria," Lydia said in a steady tone. "I did what I had to do, and signing up to be a mail-order bride will help everyone involved."

"How can you say that?" Victoria flipped her hands in the air. "This is an insane idea."

Lydia's steely eyes turned a darker blue. Victoria's sister was so pretty, she didn't know why she'd resort to marrying a stranger.

Lydia slowly stood from the couch, folding her arms in a stubborn stance. "The idea is not insane. Think about this, Toria. Your school teaching job is barely paying the bills, and I'm not making enough money as a Milliner to help with food. Most of the men in Woodville are working in Stumptown as loggers, and so it's not as if I can find a man to marry." Lydia sighed. "Toria, you have to see that by becoming a mail-order bride, this is the only way for me to help out our family."

The frustration building up in Victoria made her want to scream. Life wasn't turning out how she had wanted, thanks to their father, who had been drunk most of his daughters' lives, which eventually drove their mother insane until she was put into a hospital where she died. Victoria's father hadn't been around for several months, and she expected he was lying somewhere dead. Not that it mattered. He'd never been a parent to his daughters, even when he lived with them.

Being the oldest of four girls, Victoria had been their caregiver since she could remember. And, because of that ever-present parenting feeling, she didn't think Lydia was making the right decision. Yet, Victoria couldn't help but agree with her that they were at their wit's end.

Sighing, she rubbed her forehead, hoping that the pounding ache would subside. Victoria knew she was on her way to becoming a spinster anyway, and so she might as well take the role of her sister's guardian. Victoria had always thought she was the plain-looking sister. Red hair was definitely not the fashion. But Lydia, Patience, and Rachael, all had strawberry blonde hair with a touch of brown, and Victoria hoped they would be able to find a man and fall in love. Most men found Victoria too educated as well. However, she didn't care about marriage since she loved her job as a schoolteacher, but she did worry about her sisters. They should marry a man of their choosing, and signing up to be a mail-order bride went against all of that.

"Lydia, my dear, dear sister." Victoria grasped her sister's hands. "I hate feeling helpless, and we are indeed at our wit's end. But, I do want you to find the man who suits you perfectly, and being a mail-order bride won't give you courting time before marriage."

Shrugging, Lydia gave Victoria a sympathetic smile. "Toria, you don't have to be the only one in the family to make sacrifices. I can make some as well."

Victoria frowned as anger built up inside her. "And we have our lousy father to thank for that."

Lydia nodded. "Which is another reason why being a mail-order bride is the key to helping the family."

Victoria walked away from her sister and to the window. The snow from the storm a week ago was starting to melt. Spring was still a few months away, but she longed to see the flowers blooming and green leaves growing on the trees, as well as to hear the trickle of the nearby stream.