1. numb.

year four

year four...

It's been three weeks since her passing.

She missed her so much.

Elora didn't even cry when she was given the news. The tight throat and the silent tears were present, but the heavy sobs and chokes never came. Even when she expected them to eventually happen, their lack left an empty hole in her chest.

It was as if she could feel nothing at all.

Every time she stared at herself in the mirror, her pale face would stare back. The light from her coffee eyes was now gone, apart from the shiny brownish hair she once liked to style in a long ponytail or with braids on the sides. Now they both remained lifeless,  her irises staring straight ahead and sleepy. Not to mention the darkest shade of purplish skin under her big eyes, a small gift from the sleepless nights that she passed just staring up at the ceiling wondering how long it would take for the sun to come up again.

But that morning, she wanted to do something different. She took out her paint tubes, grabbed a brush and began to paint a gorgeous sunset. Elora loved the way the orange collided with the bright yellow and the purple of the night falling down.

She took hold of a pair of old headphones at her side table, staining them in the process with the dark purple she had just used. She bit her lip at this, but shrugged as she put them on.

The melody was calming, until she recognized the track. Love of my Life by Queen had always been a classic to her but besides from that, she did not feel anything by the sound of it. She just wished she could dance it around the room, as if in an old fashioned ballroom along with her best friend; laughing and falling— Which couldn't happen anymore. Never again.

A loud knock on the door pulled her out of her thoughts.

"Sweetheart, you've got everything ready?" Her mother asked popping her head into the room behind the door.

Elora was leaving to Hogwarts tomorrow. Her chest tightened with the thought of it, having to face reality and people again. Not to mention the fact that she wasn't going to have anyone this time, she would have to be all by herself.

"You do?" her mother's sweet voice pulled her back again.

Elora stared sideways by this act of gentleness towards her, considering the yelling she had to face just a few hours ago. Without wanting to cause any more trouble, she just nodded and turned back to her canvas, hearing the crack of the door closing at her back.