Chapter Nine

It was graduation day, finally. It seemed that it might never come to be and now my entire rookie unit was standing in a formation, waiting for the top ten announcement. They would be the ones who could choose the MPs. The ones who were cowardly and chose the easy way out. Bastards in my book. As we wait to hear the names called, I knew Mikasa would be up in front, shining as the true soldier she is. Beautiful and deadly, I'm proud to call her my childhood friend.

   "Mikasa Ackerman, Reiner Braun, Annie Leonhart . . ." As the names were called, each walked to the front with pride. My heart beat quick in my chest seeing Reiner get his well deserved top spot. Mentally I was rooting for him since he had helped me throughout the training. Honestly I doubt I could have made it if it wasn't for his helpful advice and motivation.

   We all clapped and in turn got a lecture on how to act professional like a real soldier. We were then given the choice to choose which section we would work in the rest of our measly lives. This meant for the other 170 of us that we would be stuck with the garrison or become a scout. I knew my choice as I had promised to Clara that I would be a scout for her. I would kill every Titan for revenge.

   I knew that Eren would choose the scouts as he never got over his aggression toward them, always acting so brave, and Mikasa was sure to follow. Honestly I never expected after Commander Smith told us the dirty truth about the scouts that Armin would stay. To my surprise, more of my class had stayed with the scouts. It seems that during our earlier celebration dinner, Eren had inspired the rest to join. We were brave too, and could never allow those Titans to hurt our families nor friends again.

   As we stood in yet another formation, I look to my left to see Reiner. He looked stern, ready to take on the Titans but there seemed to be a hint of conflict in his expression. Almost as if he was fighting to appear calm and prepared for the scouts. I wish he could have talked to me. Since that day after training we hadn't been alone nor have we had a chance to have a complete conversation. I tried greeting him every time we passed in training, the woods, even sitting next to him during chow, but he seemed to have closed himself off except for his persistent advice on being a better soldier. He was always there to be helpful during training but never seemed to give me the attention that I craved from him.

   I signed as we were told the rest of what our duties were until we were sent off to our respective jobs. While I didn't mind passing the time with some silly jobs, many of the others were aggressive towards the idea of us patrolling and helping the garrison. Mainly Eren, yelling about nothing. I brushed it off, thinking that he would be fine after we made it to the induction ceremony. It would all be fine, it would been fine. Isn't that right, Clara?

It was the next morning when I woke up, yawning. The other girls in my cabin had all waken up before me except for Sasha. She was still splayed out in her stomach with her big mouth wide open, dried drool spilled over her pillow. Everyone gets ready for today as we start our mundane chores before we are officially scouts in the evening.

   "Good morning you big baby." I chuckle as I shake Sasha awake. With her becoming close in the last few weeks and being bunk mates, I'm really glad she decided to join the scouts. It makes me warm knowing that I'll have another friend when we explore outside the walls.

   "Hey get offff. Unless you have a toasted roll as an offering, you can leave without me!" She slowly gets louder and louder as she struggles to wake up. It jus makes my stomach ache more form laughing and seems to upset her more.

   "Hey I know we will be in different areas today but remember who will be protecting who today. You stuff the cannons, not your face. Mm okay?" I grab her wrist and pull her up and she wiggled away, almost falling and bringing me down too.

   "Yeah, yeah. I love you, but if you run into any trouble on your patrol of the inner walls, lemme know. I'll jump down and bite them." Sasha wiggles her eyebrows at me while she steadies herself then begins making her bed. I pick up my hygiene kit and head off to prepare for today. My last day as a soldier without an organized, technically. I smile to myself, looking up into the sky. I'm doing this for you Clara, hope you're watching.

   As I walked to breakfast with Sasha, a pair of hazel eyes were watching. Reiner was standing in a secluded area with both Annie and Bertholdt. Whispering amongst themselves, it didn't seem odd. They've always been close and many of the corps members figured they came from the same village. I tried to wave and greet Reiner, while doing the same but with less excitement to Annie's and Bertholdt but strangely, he ignored me. His stare was surprise then he turned quickly away. I dropped my hand and sadly walked off before Sasha slapped my back and told me how she couldn't wait longer for breakfast. As Reiner went back to his conversation I swear I could have heard him say my name but I couldn't catch the rest.

   "Neither of you will harm Y/N."

A/N
Hey guys! Thanks for sticking by this story even though it hasn't been updated in like 6 months. 😅 It is so much harder to write lately with how busy I've been and honestly I keep getting the absolute worst writers block. Tbh got no idea where I'm going with the story but I know I want it to be a slow burn and I love my fluffy scenes. WE WILL GET MORE REINER AND Y/N I PROMISE! See ya next time and I'm doing my best to keep updating! ❤️