Meet the Murder Victim - One

warnings: mentions of murder, slightly stalkerish behavior

So you weren't one of the Hargreeves, but you weren't average, either.

No, you didn't have powers, but you had BRAINS.

You were by far the smartest one in your grade, and that was what helped you get onto Reginald Hargreeves's radar.

He requested a meeting with you after school one day, and had a full on discussion with you about all of the potential you had. Potential to do amazing things if you chose to. He intrigued you to the point that when he asked if you would like to become his apprentice, you accepted.

Yep. You accepted an apprenticeship from a highly eccentric man that you barely knew. Maybe not the smartest thing you'd ever done, but certainly the most profitable.

The first one you met was Klaus. The eldest Hargreeves hadn't mentioned anything about kids to you, so when you were sitting in the lab by yourself, studying the dozens of vials and medicines while Reginald got a himself a drink and you a Capri-sun, you weren't prepared for a shaggy haired, lanky boy to rush in and grab you by your shoulders and hide behind you.

"Um, hi ... ?" You said as you vainly tried to turn and see the face of the boy clinging onto your shoulders.

"Don't let him get me, please, I've talked to enough murder victims for today-" he stammered, digging his nails into your shoulders. Your brain hit a blank at his words, confusion taking over. Murder victims? But those are ... those are DEAD people ... .

"Klaus, for the last time," A voice said from the hallway. You could hear footsteps descending the staircase that led to the lab. Klaus whined and buried his head in the back of your shirt. "I am not a-"

The voice broke off as the owner of it entered the room. He wore a dark blue cardigan with what looked like a knit patterned sweater over a white collared shirt and dark blue striped tie. Shorts that almost reached his knees, socks that didn't quite, and scuffed up, expensive looking leather shoes made him look like a lost British boarding school student. He was covered in a red substance, and he was looking right at you.

"You weren't kidding," you said aloud to the boy still clinging to you. "He really does look like a murder victim."

Five watched you in astonishment. You were ... he didn't quite know, actually. He felt a weird, fluttery feeling surface in his stomach, and shivered, remembering why he was down there.

"Klaus, I'm not a murder victim," he said through gritted teeth, if only to keep himself from smiling. Something about you made him want to smile uncontrollably, and that was DEFINITELY out of the norm and something that he would NOT let happen. He wiped his fingers across his sweater and stretched his hand out toward his brother. "It's jelly."

"Why are you covered in jelly?" You asked, trying to avoid eye contact with the boy and being unsuccessful. The other boy - Klaus - was still clinging onto you for dear life.

Five brushed himself off unsuccessfully. "Failed experiment. That's it. I wasn't murdered," he added through gritted teeth to his brother.

"Then why were you chasing me?" Klaus asked in a small voice.

"Because you ran away from me screaming!"

"Since when have you cared if I do that?!"

"Since it wakes up the whole house-"

"Number Five! Number Four, what are you doing down here?" a stern voice said from the entryway. Both the boys' froze, their eyes widening. You realized how terrified they were of that man and decided to speak up for them.