Flare (Redo of Healer)

Hey guys.

There are two things I want to go over before you read this chapter.

One: as most of you are aware I've been out of writing for some time, so my skill may be diminished, if you guys have any tips or notice any errors in my writing then please let me know, as I'm always ready to hear constructive criticism.

Two: with the nature of Redo Of Healer, I don't feel comfortable setting the story in the world of the series, so this story will be set in a completely different setting with only Flare's character being taken from the series.

With all that out of the way, enjoy!

It is within the quiet of peace, that war creeps in, no different than a snake sneaks into a garden to poison an unsuspecting victim.

Times were good in the kingdom, trade was fruitful and crops grew with an exceptional bounty, all while the royal family reveled in love from a devoted people, none more so than Princess Flare, who was seen as a shining beacon of charm and kindness, the people not knowing the harsh personality behind the seemingly sweet girl.

But good times often precede dark times, and dark times did come with a cold tide one evening, coastal towns noticing a large fleet of unfamiliar ships in the distance.

When dawn broke, all that remained of the towns was burnt ruins devoid of all valuables, an unknown force had sacked the towns and proceeded inland via rivers.

This force was a fierce army of savages and barbarians from a distant land across the ocean, they using raw power to take whatever they desired and leaving nothing but burnt villages.

Soon, the once bountiful kingdom was reduced to chaos, with refugees of the barbarian army's attacks retreating to the capital city for safety, looking to the king for answers of what to do.

But all the king's plans and soldiers fell to the barbarian horde, their great ships never returning from the battlefields that were once villages.

Eventually, with all offensive choices expired, the king sought out peace, and upon reaching to the barbarian army found that they were strangely receptive to the idea.

The leader of the barbarian army, their 'Jarl', was to meet the king at his castle on the shore, the barbarians coming from the sea.

The king and Princess Flare watched the calm waters for what felt like ages, until a watchtower guard yelled out.

Guard: Boats your highness! Hundreds! Coming from the sea!

Through the fog the king did indeed see a massive force of unfamiliar ships.

King: My god...they've more men than we do arrows...

Flare defiantly spoke up.

Flare: They are still savage pagans father, we will crush them in time.

King: Do not think of war my child, for I don't believe we can win this one.

The massive fleet of ships shifted course for a slightly larger ship, which carried the skeleton of a whale across it's hull, signifying it's role as lead.

The lead ship came to shore, and a group of unclean warriors of both genders disembarked, some wearing armors, others furs, and some without shirt to protect against the cold.

At the front of the ship stood the barbarian Jarl, wearing a long, thick fur cloak that hid his body from the king and Flare.

Flare whispered in disgust to herself.