40. guns

Murphy, Kane and Diyoza had arrive at the cave late into the night. 

I felt immediate relief knowing Murphy was okay, but a trickle of worry still ran through my veins. Abby had been left at the village, and Diyoza was here with us now. There was no telling what could happen. 

But I couldn't worry about that right now. Currently, our biggest concern was getting the radio up and going so we could communicate with Bellamy and the others. 

That's why Emori, Echo and I were currently stationed in the forest outside of the cave, aiming the antenna toward Polis. 

"Hey," I muttered as we came to a stop and unloaded the supplies from our packs. "I never got to thank you, Emori."

She looked over at me with a confused look. "For what?"

"For coming back for us." I answered, beginning to set up the antenna. "You and John coming back no doubt saved all of our asses."

She cracked a small grin. "Hate to admit it, but it was John's idea." she admitted. "And besides, you've done enough for me over the past 6 years."

I let out a small laugh as I looked down at the map in my hand. "That's what family is for."

A touched smile spread across Emori's face as she nodded. "Exactly."

"What's taking so long?" Echo barked, nervously pacing around behind us as her eyes scanned the forest.

"Almost done." I called, briefly turning to look at her. "Do you see something?"

She wore a slightly unnerved look as she shook her head. "No." she answered. "That's the problem." 

My eyes lingered on her for a moment, sensing her worry. "They've stopped looking for us." I concluded, my voice wavering slightly. 

"They're moving their supplies." she explained, her eyes flickering between me and the valley beneath the ridge we were stationed on. "McCreary is planning something."

Emori stood up and brushed the dirt off of her pants. "All good. Let's get back to the cave."

The sense of dread that was instilled in me by Echo's revelation stayed with me the entire way back to the cave. It was alleviated only by the fact that I was potentially going to hear Bellamy's voice in a rather of minutes. 

"It's done. The antenna is aimed and reading to go." I announced to Raven as we entered the cave. "Fire it up."

She looked up at the three of us, shaking her head slightly. "It's not connected yet."

Echo looked at her with a look of confusion. "So, connect it."

Murphy and Shaw pushed themselves to their feet, looking toward us with growing concern. "What's wrong, did you get spotted?" Murphy questioned. 

"Worse." Echo concluded. "They're not looking for us anymore."

Another voice from deeper within the cave spoke up. "What do you mean?"

All of our eyes turned to Diyoza who was slowly pushing herself into a seated position. It was now that her baby bump became more prominent. Who would have thought she'd be the next person to bring life onto this Earth. 

Echo's dark eyes landed on her and she gave a small nod. "Okay...you want to be useful? What does it mean that from the antenna position, we saw your people moving weapons and supplies to the northern perimeter."

Diyoza let out a grunt as Kane helped her to her feet. "If McCreary's moving his troops north, then Wonkru's on the march again."

I felt my heart dipped slightly at the mention of Wonkru-Octavia's kru.