chapter eighteen

Začít od začátku

After several hours of prodding and potions, Jackie was finally done. She had to admit that Figgy had done a better job than she ever could have. The elf had used half a vial of Sleekeazy's Hair Potion to tame her wild mane into perfect dainty curls that reached down her back. Her makeup was light but highlighted all the right points of her face. Figgy had somehow managed to give her the illusion of high sharp cheekbones, glowing skin and long fluttering lashes. She hadn't even realized she had the potential to look like she did.

"Figgy, you out-do yourself everytime." Jackie told her in wonder as the two looked at their reflection in the mirror.

Figgy patted the girl on the shoulder encouragingly. "Figgy is not a good painter. She is just having a good canvas." She praised happily.

Jackie turned to search in her wardrobe for one of her more formal dresses to put on for the event. Figgy looked appalled at the sight of her scrounging around in piles of dresses that she had already been seen in.

"What is Mistress doing?" The elf asked in horror.

"Looking for something to wear to this stupid party." Jackie mumbled, from the cupboard that she was raking through aimlessly.

"Mistress cannot be possibly thinking of wearing an old dress to the Malfoy's." Figgy called out, taking Jackie's hand and pulling her away from the rack of clothing.

"There's nothing wrong with them." Jackie interjected. "They still fit."

"Oh no no, that won't do. All Figgy's hard work for nothing." The elf snapped her fingers and a long garment bag appeared in her hands through the power of elf magic. "Figgy is thinking ahead. She is giving your measurements to Madam Malkins so Mistress will have a beautiful dress to wear."

Jackie fought the urge to roll her eyes. The little thing was always planning ahead. "You didn't have to do that, really."

Figgy raised at eyebrow at her and then gestured to her other older dresses. "Obviously Figgy did." She shoved the bag into Jackie's arms and gave her a stern look before she apparated out. "Try it on." She managed to squeak out as she left.

Jackie tutted and turned to lay the bag down on the bed. She pulled the zipper down and revealed the dress with a gasp. It was ankle-length long and a silky satin fabric that she already knew would cling to her skin like a glove. But it was the colour that caught her off guard. A light, steely silver. Exactly the same shade as a certain someone's eyes.

That sly little elf.

When she slipped in on, it fitted her perfectly and slinked down to her ankles. It laced up at the back with a series of intricate threads and complimented her chocolate brown hair surprisingly well. She looked at her whole reflection in the mirror and almost rolled her eyes in annoyance. She looked the picture of a well-dressed pureblood lady and it was a sight even Walburga Black would look happily upon. She'd fit right in.

Regulus had sent her an owl earlier in the week to tell her that he'd floo in at eight o' clock and pick her up so they could arrive together. She hoped they could both get away before her Father could request a word with him. So she grabbed her bag and shoes and marched downstairs to wait in the living room for his arrival.

———————————

Regulus was running late. His mother had spent so much time fussing over the color of his tie and who he should be introducing himself to that it was five minutes past eight when he finally stumbled through Jackie's floo. He hurriedly brushed the ash off of his suit jacket as he stepped out of the fireplace.

"Sorry I'm late I-" He had gotten to the explanation part of his apology when he finally glanced up at her. And he swore his heart stuttered in his chest.