chapter twenty-two

Start from the beginning

     Her gaze still firmly fixed on the floor. She didn't know what to say, she didn't know how to say anything she wanted. But her mind was running away with her thoughts, her eyes pricking with tears as she wrapped her arms around herself. James noticed her change within a second and didn't even care anymore. He pushed himself off the stool and moved to kneel in front of her on the bed. He wrapped his arms around her torso and hugged her.

     The actions felt oddly childish as he rested his head against her but Ella just felt the relief wash over her body. Her arms wrapped around his head and she buried her face in his messy hair. The tension seemed to disappear from James' shoulder and Ella let a few tears fall down her face but was quick to left her head and wipe them away.

     "M'sorry, I missed you so fuckin' much," Ella mumbled before she pulled back and lifted his head up so she could look at him. James' eyes were glassy as he watched her, feeling her hands against his face made him feel so much safer. Everything about her made him feel safe and happy. He just wanted her here and around.

     "I missed you too, Ella. It's okay. Just let me finish next time, please," He muttered as he turned his face, pressing a soft kiss to the palm of her hand. Ella just watched to melt into his arms and she shuffled back on the bed, wanting to actually sit with James. The boy understood and stood up, kicking his shoes off. He then sat down on the bed, shuffling to rest against the headboard. Ella discarded her cloak and then moved to rest against his chest. She was curled up against his chest as she closed her eyes. His arms encircling her.

     Arguments had never been something that Ella and James could handle for long. Their friendship had been integral to each other's lives for as long as they could remember so as Ella sat in his arms. Listening to his thumping heart, she felt like the weight of the world had been lifted. She was finally safe and she could just talk to him.

     "M'so dumb," Ella muttered and James softly shushed her. He ran his fingers through her hair, twirling strands around it He just let her rest against him.

     "You're not dumb, Ella. You're the most wonderful girl in the world and you're my best friend, if nothing else, you always will be my best friend," James said. His wording throwing Ella off, unsure whether he meant what she thought that meant. But she didn't question it, she just stayed there, "I don't know why I've been so stupid and nervous and antsy recently. I love you but I don't like how not telling you makes me act. I feel like I don't have oxygen," James admitted as he rested his head against hers. His nose burying in her hair and smelling the strawberry shampoo he always loved on her. He was so stupid not to see how much he loved her before.

     "James. I was being stupid. I was the one that cut you off. I'm sorry for being so terrible," Ella muttered as she lifted her head so she could look at his face. He was so close to her, she wanted just wanted to kiss him. She felt like such a fool for letting all of this happen. For letting her world implode because she cared too much and didn't try and get the answers. Layla was right, she was like Romeo but instead of killing herself, she self-sabotaged. And she was pretty sure he just said that he loved her but she almost didn't believe it.

     "No, you weren't. You were trying to protect yourself and I was being an ass," He muttered softly as he ran his fingers through her hair. Twirling the locks of hair around his finger as he sighed. He moved his gaze to the ceiling as he took a deep breath, "I shouldn't have done what I did. I'm sorry I forgot. I was just so confused and lost that day..." James admitted, wanting to get it out right now. He would never say it if he didn't now.

     "S'okay, Jamie. I promise, we don't 'ave to talk about it. Just be my friend, if nothing else," Ella muttered. She saw it as giving him a clause to escape his words but he didn't seem to take it. Instead, James nodded and pulled her back against him, cuddling her closer. He then pressed a soft kiss to her hair. Ella wrapping her arms around his torso and resting against him. They needed to talk this out, talk but she didn't want that now. She just wanted to be close to him again. Her