Suicidal Thoughts

Start from the beginning

Snorting the last line and let out a breath. Putting everything back into her purse, she exited the stall. She dusted her nose off and fixed her lip gloss in the mirror. As soon as she opened the door to leave the bathroom, she ran into her mother.

"Kristina! There you are, I've been looking for you." Toni said.

"Sorry I had to pee."

Toni grabbed her hand, "Come on." She said. She lead her into the main area where all the party guests were, "So, I saw some cute boys you'd like." She told her as they moved through people.

"Oh my God." Kristina groaned.

"At least talk to one of them, but not now."

They came up on Kenny and Mr. Grant. Mr. Grant's wife Karen had also joined them.

Kenny smiled, "Here she is. Kris, this is Mr. Grant."

"Hello." Kristina said.

"So where do you attend school?" Mr. Grant asked.

"Oh, I don't. College isn't for me."

"She wants to become a famous poet. She's really good." Toni said ignoring the disapproving look from Karen.

"You can major in creative writing. The last thing you want to be is a starving artist." Karen voiced.

Kristina scoffed, this is what she wanted to avoid. People were always judging and she knew deep down everyone was comparing her to Karina

"I'd like to hear a poem." Mr. Grant said.

Kristina gave him a smug smirk, "Here's one I wrote just for you. Roses are red, violets are blue, please mind the business that fucking pays you."

"Kristina!" Kenny said in embarrassment.

"I'll be at the bar." She said walking away.

"She's still grieving." Toni expressed to the shocked couple.

Mr. Grant nodded, "We'll catch up with you later." He said as he and Karen walked away.

Toni and Kenny stood there awkwardly.

"They're not coming back." Kenny thought out loud. He sighed grabbing a glass of champagne from the tray being passed in front of him.

Toni grabbed his hand, "It's okay baby." She said rubbing his shoulder.

"What the hell is wrong with her?"

"I don't know. I'll talk to her."

"No I'll talk to her." He said angrily.

Toni quickly shook her head, "Absolutely not. You can be harsh at times."

Kenny sipped his champagne, "Karina would've never-"

"Don't do that." Toni interjected.

"I'm just saying."

"Saying what? It should've been Kristina instead?"

He looked at her, "I would never say that or think it. If I could have it my way, I'd have them both here on this earth. I'm just saying Karina would've turned that conversation around. She was witty and quick on her feet, like you."

Toni sighed, "I miss her too, but we have to just reflect on the memories we have instead of wishing for ones we will never get." She said before walking away to find Kristina again.

•••••••

The party was over and the family was back at home. Kenny found Toni sitting at her vanity again. She removed her necklace putting it back in the jewelry box. Kenny eased up behind her placing a kiss on her shoulder.