Chapter 2

I am shaken back to the present by Logan, my best friend. I have always loved his courage and determination.  His tall, tanned, muscular figure makes him look as ifhe were a modern Adonis. Many people love his outer body, but I don’t have such opinions.

We start walk to the cafeteria for our morning breakfast and stand in the line for a long time. It islike time refuses to continue forward. My stomach aches with pain because of the lack of food around here. The last time I ate was two days ago. Finally, we reach the front of line. I lick my lips hoping the cafeteria lady will notice my desperation and give me a little more. She slops whatever is remaining of the mushy, green substance onto my plate .

“Looks like we got the great reward we deserve for starving for two days - green gloop,” I say sarcastically to Logan.

“I wish they would actually tell us what this stuff is. Ugh! It looks like eyeballs with broccoli.” he replies playfully.

We take a seat at the usual spot. I devour the unknown food asif I am a wild animal attacking my prey.  All that is left is the bowl scraped clean. If this is really eyeballs, then I realize they taste pretty good.

I leave rapidly, realizing that it is time to fight. We line up in alphabetical order ready for combat, as usual. The thin, worn down padding will barely protect me from the powerful blows which my opponent  will throw.