Chapter 1

I stroke Jillian’s silky, black fur. Her small, assuring eyes casually glance towards me. Sometimes I feel that she, my dog, is my only companion. I hear her growl in contentment as she savors every moment. I slowly grab a bone from the stale chicken leg and offer it to her. Jillian relishes it. If I were her, I would too.  

Diana, my stepmother, stares deeply out into the grey clouds as though she sees an inauspicious sign. The momentary flashes bring light to our dark, dull city.

 “Hurry up,” hollers my younger brother, Felix. “We’re going to be late for training!”

I swiftly walk to my characterless room. I undress briskly. The mirror reflects a tanned girl with nothing holding her together other than skin and bones. I brush my hand against my many wounded and bruised places that have been unable to heal. Lazily, I slide on my thin, black stockings as well as my woolen shirt and my knee length skirt. Afterwards, I run my fingers through my rough, thick, black hair. I braid frantically realizing that the training horn will blow soon.

Barging through the creaky, oak door, I race out into the streets while tightly clutching Felix’s hand. We barely make it before the horn blows as we enter the building. Many people don’t even consider it a building anymore but as ruins, because of the missing walls from the treacherous war that happened.

Families were separated. Lives were lost. It was everyone for themselves. The war was like a living hell. The people in the Mahenna were devastated. Fire was set ablaze causing smoke to chimney up. The pungence of the smoke suffocated many. Then, rain began to pour down as if the smoke had ignited it. The sound of gunfire pierced through the air, leaving people in extreme states of agony.

I reflect in sorrow, remembering the death of my mother. The war was one tragedy that affected me the most. I remember her falling to her knees after being shot in the heart. The blood flowed assmoothly as the Ganges river. Her last words are unforgettable: “All I wish is for you and your brother to be well.”