Chapter 3

She had been staring at the dress for precisely two hours now. The towel that once soaked in the moisture from her shower now hung dry around her. Her eyes flickered from the dress to her grey one.

Her safe, plain grey dress. Her dependable, predictable dress. But that's not who she wanted to be today. She wanted to be spontaneous. Exciting. New.

She shook her head, letting her hand run over the dress again.

"Draco will love it." Pansy had told her when she finally talked Hermione into trying it on.

And she knew he would. It screamed Draco Malfoy. But would he like it on her? And would it be enough to take his eyes off Olivia?

"Hermione!"

Ginny welcomed herself into Hermione's room, stretchy pants over her belly and an old Quidditch shirt from Charlie; the only thing she enjoyed wearing this time in her pregnancy.

"Gin? Shouldn't you be getting ready?"

Ginny snorted. "For what? I'm not going to this thing, are you kidding? Knowing my luck I'd squeeze into a dress and have this kid on the floor of the atrium. No, I'm staying home."

"Well, what are you doing here?"

Ginny eyed the grey dress as if it offended her. "I'm making sure that doesn't find its way to another event."

Hermione grumbled. "You've already missed the internal monologue. I'm wearing the dress."

"Fabulous. Next step is to burn that one."

"At least help me with my hair while you're here?"

Ginny nodded, scooting onto the bed and pulling Hermione's curls into her hands.

"Are you nervous?"

Yes.

"No, it's just another ball isn't it?"

Ginny tugged and wrapped her hair around her wand, which was not searing hot.

"Sure." Then after a moment, "Are you excited?"

No.

"Yes."

"Good, good... Are you horny?"

"Ginny!"

Hermione shoved her friendly lightly, careful of her bump and they giggled together. It felt good for a moment, to just laugh. It reminded her of the Yule ball; putting on a dress she wanted to feel special in, Ginny forcing her hair into submission.

"What? I'm too pregnant to get anything, I have to live vicariously through you."

"I--" Hermione sputtered, "We haven't-- ow Ginny!"

The hot wand slipped and singed her ear as Ginny gasped.

"Sorry, sorry! But you haven't? Not once?"

"No! And shit, that hurt by the way."

Ginny tutted. "You're fine. But, I mean, wow. How are you both not spontaneously combusting? Between your arse and his--"

"Baby James, I am begging you to come out so your mummy gets laid and leaves me alone."

Ginny hummed in agreement, patting her belly. "Do you think you will tonight? I mean, how could he resist in this dress, right?"

"I--"

No, she didn't. She didn't expect to come home with him at all. He'd find Olivia on the dance floor, pull her to him, and that would be the end.