Chapter 21 - Secrets

Start from the beginning

"Okaaaay," you muse, stepping onto the platform. As soon as your second foot lands, virtual screens and projections pop up all around, surrounding you in 360 degrees of what looks like camera footage of the same forest, but from different places. "Woah," you exhale. "What the hell is this?"

"Hey, language," Steve says from...somewhere. His voice clear, and close.

"About time, squirt," Tony's voice says.

"Tony?" you question. "Steve? What's going on?"

"Questions later," Tony huffs. "Squirt, I need you to get eyes on Banner for me."

"Uh...how do I do that?" you ask, gaze flitting from screen to screen.

"Just find his feed," Tony says. "I can't access it from here."

"Feed?" you question.

"You didn't prep her?!" Natasha's voice comes through, winded.

"Way to go, Rocket Man," Clint snarks.

"Hey, she can do it," Tony says. "Can't you, squirt?"

"Uh sure," you answer. "If someone would be so nice as to tell me what the hell is going on?" you shout.

"Hey, Y/n, everything's okay," Steve's voice comes through, calm and reassuring. "We're out in the field. We're not far from the city, but we've lost track of Bruce. He was supposed to stay with the jet, but he fell out of contact about forty minutes ago. We need you to see if you can tell where he is."

"Yeah, yeah okay," you say, fingers twitching with adrenaline.

"Bottom right of the screens," Tony says. "There's a - HEY, WATCH IT!" Tony's voice cuts out as a serious of loud blasts and metal ricochet fill the line.

"Tony?" you call out.

"He's fine, Y/n," Natasha says. "Find Bruce."

"O-okay," you stammer, eyes flitting from screen to screen.

On one, the forest flashes by in unbelievable speed. Suddenly Steve's shield goes flying into the trees, and two bodies clad in dark black fall from the branches.

"Nice toss, Cap," you mumble, gaze flitting across the others, looking for any sign of Bruce. Growing more anxious by the second, you finally find a dark screen. No signal. "Uh, guys? I think his signal's out."

"Damn," Natasha seethes.

"What do I do?" you ask.

"Keep watching," she says. "If it comes back online, let us know."

"Okay," you answer, watching as each feed shows a unique perspective. One lurks up high, hidden in the branches. That must be Clint. Another looks down on what seems to be a small compound from somewhere in the sky. That's Tony. Steve and Natasha both seem to be in a forest of some kind, dealing with guards and taking them out one by one in a flurry of shield strikes and roundhouse kicks.

"Who are these guys?!" you shout.

"From what I can tell? Bosnian special forces," Steve grunts, swinging from a tree branch and taking out a dark-clad figure with a strong kick. "Fury's doing the US Government a favor and loaning us out on this one."

"What are they doing here?" you ask. 

"We don't know," Clint answers as he looks down his bow and lets an arrow fly. "Part of the problem."

"I thought we were allies with Bosnia?!" you gasp, closing your eyes as Natasha fires a round straight through a man's head.

"Yeah, us too," grunts Tony. "And Sarajevo is lovely this time of year. Real shame."