Chapter Three; First encounters

Começar do início

When Itachi and Sasuke arrived at the hospital, they went straight to the children's ward, spotting their mother further down the hall. There were a bunch of doctors with her, and a lady dressed in a long, dark-blue kimono. As soon as Mikoto Uchiha saw her sons, she excused herself and came towards them.

"Boys, what are you doing here by yourselves? Where is your father?"

"Still in a meeting," said Itachi. "I thought we could come to help you."

"Oh, that's sweet of you, but I don't think there's much to do here."

"We can try!" Sasuke jumped off of his brother's back. "Big brother said he found a girl. He said because she's my age, I should talk to her so she won't be scared."

"Did he now? Well, I suppose there's no harm in trying. All right then, Sasuke, come along."

Sasuke took his mother's hand, letting her guide him into one of the patient rooms. Itachi followed them in, but the doctors and the lady in the kimono remained where they stood, silently watching the family. 
The little girl Itachi and his team brought back to the village sat up in the near the window, her head averted from the door. Sasuke let go of his mother's hand to run over and say hello. But when the girl turned around at the sound of his footsteps, he froze. She had the most beautiful eyes he'd ever seen. Piercing blue, like the lake his father sometimes took him to.
The girl slowly tilted her head at Sasuke. His knees quivered at her intense gaze. Why was she staring like that? Then Sasuke felt his mother give him a gentle nudge, making him stumble forward. It broke his trance, and the boy remembered what he had meant to do. He walked over to the bed and said, "Hi, I'm Sasuke."

She blinked a few times, but then turned away. Sasuke was stumped at her reaction and glanced over his shoulder. His mother and brother nodded encouragingly. He took a deep breath and climbed on the bed to sit in front of the girl.

"You know it's rude not to say your name back," he scolded, arms crossed over his chest.

"I don't know my name," said the girl.

"Huh? How can you not know your name?"

"I fell... I think... And now I don't remember."

Sasuke didn't know what to say. He dropped his stern attitude and looked the girl over. Her skin was so light, almost like snow, but with tiny sparkles like Mother's ring had. Her black hair was wet, like it had just been washed, but there was still some dust or soot staining the towel around her shoulder. Then Sasuke noticed a locket around her neck. He reached for it, then recalled he hadn't asked if he could. The girl said nothing, though, and just kept looking out the window. Carefully, Sasuke took the locket between his fingers. There was a little hinge at the side, indicating there was supposed to be another part attached to it. Maybe she lost it somewhere? He turned the silver pendant around and saw a name etched on the back. 

"Sayuri," he read aloud.

The girl gasped, her head jerking back to him. She looked down at the locket in Sasuke's hand. 

"What?" he asked, not sure if he did something wrong. "Is... that it? Is that your name?"

"I think so," she said. "Sayuri... Yes, it is!"

Joy surged within Sasuke. He helped! 

"That's a really pretty name," he said, grinning.

"So, um... So is yours."

Sasuke's smile wavered as he felt his cheeks get heated. He realized he was still holding on to the locked and let go, lowering his eyes shyly.

"Where am I?" asked Sayuri.