Goodbyes Are Hard

Start from the beginning

"And this is my warning to you." His voice sounded so close, like he was standing pressed up against the gate. "Come out and face me like the tough man that you pretend to be, otherwise I will cause so much chaos that your next generations will shiver just thinking about it. I mean, if anyone survives, that is." 

Don't let him provoke you into doing something stupid. Just wait until your colleagues get here. One wrong move and your entire family is in danger. I kept reminding myself.

There was something suspicious about this. This couldn't be just about fines. Rich brats didn't think twice about paying these measly fines. This was much bigger than a fine, but I had no idea what else I had done that these brats were after me like a frickin' gang.

"Why are you doing all this over a stupid fine?" I asked. "It makes no sense." 

"I'm surprised you don't know." His voice was bitter. "Someone filmed me beating you up, and the video went viral. My father's reputation was at stake because of that. He suffered severe losses in his company, and all because you had to stop me for a f***ing fine." 

"You could have just paid the fine and none of this would have happened." I pointed out. 

His father could bribe off my seniors, or speak to ministers to end this case, but he cannot put a stop to the social media reaction, because people on social media reacted to these kinds of situations, and dragged it out until someone was fully exposed. I have no doubt that this kid and his family must have suffered a great deal of embarrassment because of it. But I still stuck to the same opinion: if he had not sped in the first place, or if he had just paid the fine, this wouldn't have happened. 

Two wrongs don't make a right, and to cover up your wrong behaviour with something wrong (like bribery, or using higher connections to free/spare yourself from facing punishment), would never result in something right. That's what I believed anyway.

"I will make you pay for this, officer." He loudly banged on the gate, making me jump back a little.

But I stood my ground. I was going to stay here until my colleagues got here, and I was not going to let these brats inside my property.

Fortunately, my colleagues did not take long to arrive, and the moment I heard the police sirens, and then the sound of a police vehicle pulling up, I almost sighed in relief. As I said, I would have faced these pr**ks if it weren't for my family. 

I opened the gate, just in time to see my colleagues arrest the brats.

"Take them all in and teach them a lesson." Shehmeer, my friend and colleague ordered. "These wealthy a****les need to know that they are not above the law." 

"You..." The fined kid glared at me.

"You already look bad on social media. Don't make things worse for yourself." I walked up to him.  "These days, it's getting just a little bit more and more difficult each day to use Daddy's money and power to get whatever the hell you want. Why don't you man up and learn to face the consequences of your actions, instead of running to your father crying each time you have an issue."

We glared at each other for a few moments, before my colleagues led the group away.

I later found out that the neighbours had acted as witnesses to their behaviour, and there were even already recorded videos of this, which was uploaded on social media.