Chapter 2 - Photo of Daniel

Start from the beginning

Sebastian frowned at his daughter who was sitting next to Kitty. “Little J, why were you bothering Aunt Jane when you were meant to be sleeping?”

Little J’s innocent hazel eyes watered.

“She wasn’t bothering me, Sebastian, she had a nightmare and she came and slept in with me,” Jane groaned at her brother’s insolence.  

Emilia frowned, looking a little hurt. “Little J, why didn’t you come and wake me up?”

“Because I know you don’t want Henry to wake up at night so I didn’t want to go you,” Little J said quietly.

I don’t have nightmares, I’m not afraid of anything,” James said proudly as he tucked into his scone.

Sebastian scoffed. “Tell me that next time you find a spider, will you?”

“Regardless, Little J, if you’re scared there’s no reason you can’t come and see me, I don’t mind what time it is or if Henry’s sleeping.” Emilia shot her daughter a reassuring smile and continued eating her breakfast.

“Alright, mama,” Little J smiled back at her mother.

Jane wanted to change the subject. “So what’s happening with the children when we go to Lord Latham’s soirée tonight?”

“They will be looked after by Miss Church and put to bed at the appropriate times. They will not misbehave and they will go to sleep when asked. They will not rise out of bed just to be naughty and they will not steal away to the kitchens to make a mess of Mrs Norris’ supplies or steal any of her treats.” To Jane it sounded like Sebastian had given the speech many times before.

James shot a mischievous at his twin. “He ruins all the fun,” he whispered.

“Yes, I am talking to you two,” Sebastian eyes James and Kitty warningly.

Jane giggled as she looked at the twins. They truly were naughty children.

The rest of the breakfast sitting went smoothly. Jane simply loved being around her family and hearing their comical bickering. She was completely wrong about Emilia and Sebastian being perfect. Their family took a lot of organisation, and they definitely didn’t agree on everything.

When it came time to leave for the ball at Lord Latham’s Jane felt thoroughly made up. Emilia had lent her one of her lovely white ball gowns and had had her new ladies maid Genevieve fix her hair into a fancy up – do. Jane didn’t like Genevieve as much as she liked Kassandra but she couldn’t do anything about that. Kassandra had started a life as a mother, wife and dressmaker.

As she descended the stairs where Emilia and Sebastian were waiting for her she stumbled but righted herself before any damage happened to her or the dress. She knew it was a bad idea to have a season, she wasn’t a lady.