Happy | Chapter 40

Start from the beginning

He hopped down from the sink, leaning against it instead. As he continued talking, I couldn't help the smile that was coming across my face. He was such a big dork and I was overjoyed by the fact he seemed so serious about me. If only he could say that to my dad in a way he'd like that. He was such a good guy, I don't know why my dad thought he was so bad.

"What's that look on your face for?" Kaminari asked.

"Ahh nothing," I said, taking a step nearer.

"You were smiling all dumb and cute."

"I am not dumb."

"Well, that's my job in our relationship," he said. My stomach dropped at his choice in words. "Why were you smiling like that?"

"You're just a good guy. I'm sorry my dad...doesn't like you," I replied.

"It's not you, it's him. I do get it though, I'm not exactly the guy to bring home to dad," he agreed.

"Yes, but you have so many redeeming qualities, that stuff shouldn't matter. So what if you're a little goofy, at least you're not boring," I said. He pressed his lips into a thin line, a slight curve to them. "You'd think he'd care about what I want and my feelings, not just his dumb--it's stupid. He's such a good and smart person, but it's like he's turning into one of those...mean parents."

"I get that."

"Just wish he would listen," I said. "Not make me afraid to talk to him about this."

"Uh (y/n)?" I glanced up from where my head was dipped morosely. I was quite a bit closer to Kaminari, stood in front of him with nothing more than a mere few inches apart. He shifted back, but couldn't actually step any further, pressed against the sink. I peered at him for a few moments, his eyes shifting away from me and around the room.

"Sorry."

"It's...cool," he said. I started to take a step back before I stopped myself.

I was probably stupid for doing this.

Before it had been a bad decision, but lately it seemed like the little difference between me and my father was getting to be a bigger deal. I felt strongly about it and I was probably coming off as a crazy person to poor Kaminari. He liked me from the beginning and I was always the one trailing behind, a complete mess.

"(y/n)? You're not backing up..."

"Kami can I kiss you?"

His lemon yellow irises seemed smaller as he looked up at me, his pupils dilating. Most of the color in his eyes was a bright and electric yellow. It was kind of broken up like crystals, the base color of yellow was interrupted with pale sandy or saffron speckles. Looking this close now, I could see he even had some muted pea green and tawny streaks close to his pupils, like haphazard rays of a black centered sun. They were always glossy and trained on me when I wanted them to me.

"Wh--what?"

"You're got so many colors in your eyes," I said.

"Huh?"

"The outsides are this yellow, like lightning. But there's some streaks the color of sand and some more...orange. And then the center is kind of a brownish yellow and green. They're like crazy...sunflowers," I stated. My eyes broke their gaze to get a view of his whole face. "Can I kiss you?"

"You...want to?" I nodded. "What about your dad?"

"I don't do a lot for myself. I want something for myself. I want to be as happy as you are. Maybe it makes me selfish because my dad is better than most, but I don't care."