Chapter 13 - I'm Sorry

Start from the beginning

I didn't stop.

"It is my fault," you say sourly. "I put myself in a situation that I couldn't control. And now...I don't know what to do."

"Honey," Pepper coos reassuringly, taking a seat on the table at your side. "I'm sure you didn't-."

"I did!" you snap, inching away from her as emotion thickens your speech. "I messed up! Tony's right. He knows what I can do now. He knows the full extent of my powers. And the trust that I-," your voice breaks, and you choke back a sob. The room falls silent as each Avenger watches you in equal measure curiosity and concern.

Pull it together, you think to yourself. 

But each time you try to speak, tears threaten to spill and your words are caught behind a silent sob - stuck in your throat. 

 "Honey," Pepper says again. "Are you okay?"

You take a slow, steady breath and push away the confusing ache in your chest - the one that's causing those tears in the corners of your eyes. 

"Yeah," you choke out. "Sorry, I, uh, I'm trying to say that the trust I built between him and I is-," you cut yourself off and clear your throat one final time. "It's gone. I wouldn't be surprised if Loki refuses to speak to me again," you continue. "So I'd recommend thinking about a backup plan."

The Avengers listen to your speech, casting glances to one another. Pepper finally breaks the somewhat awkward silence. Stepping beside you, she runs her fingers gently, in a motherly fashion, through your hair, untangling a knot that had started to form near the back of your neck.

"Y/n, honey...none of us know what happened between you and Loki. But he's the reason we found you."

"What?" you ask, confused.

"It is true, my lady," says Thor, stepping forward. "My brother spoke to the Voice of JARVIS, informing him of your accident and requesting immediate assistance."

"Requesting assistance?" interrupts Tony. "More like the nutcase shouted and pounded on every wall and door until the entire city was on its way."

"He was freaked," Natasha says in agreement. 

"And my own backstabbing AI won't tell me what happened in there," Tony says, raising his voice slightly and shooting a glare up at the ceiling. 

"I apologize, sir," JARVIS's voice echoes through the lab. "But your own confidentiality protocols have reduced my RAM processing on the secure floor. All files are deleted after 10 minutes. I have no memory of what occurred."

"Goddamned privacy in a goddamned jail," mumbles Tony, shooting a dirty look at Thor who ignores him.

"Lady Y/n, " Thor proceeds, resting his hand on your shoulder. "Despite what happened between you, my brother was very clearly concerned for your safety. And has, in fact, requested an update on your wellbeing upon your awakening."

"If requested is a nice way of saying demanded upon the threat of death to all mortal Midgardians, then yeah, that's exactly what he requested," says Tony, rolling his eyes. 

"Wait...wait, what?" you exhale, heart stumbling in your chest. "He asked about me?"

"He hasn't stopped," Tony grumbles. "I had to mute J's alert system."

"He's worried about you, honey," Pepper says softly, reaching out and brushing away a strand of hair from your face.

"Uh, no," Tony says pointedly. "He just wants to get his rocks off knowing how bad he broke his little plaything. I'm not going to give him the satisfaction."