Chapter Six: Rivalry

Start from the beginning

This Author believed that she knew the use of a beautiful bouquet of red roses: in most cases when a gentleman declares his love to an equally gorgeous lady, it symbolises his affection towards her. A bouquet of beautiful red roses, we learnt today, also have the tendency to fly out of windows, especially if they happen to be sent to Miss Granville. The aforementioned lady seems to have reached the height of her popularity as the Granville house is reported to be buzzing with suitors, who were rather disappointed to find that the host was not in a condition to welcome them (reported to be struggling with the symptoms of unwanted attention). London's most infamous charmer, Colin Bridgerton is leading the courting, for he was seen the day before leaving the house with a wide grin on his handsome face which has prompted this high demand. It seems that Lord Wetherby has got some competition. Albeit, a little competition over a lady's heart has never worn any gentleman down.

Lady Whistledown

"Peacocks, stuffed peacocks. And wild parrots locked in golden cages. Not to mention that the artificial trees are ridiculous. I'd like to meet the one who has come up with this idea of a design," Franny grunted, the morning's bad mood still not completely distilled.

"Hush now Franny, this is a perfectly lovely party and you have been a menace for the better part of the day. We arrived late because of you, so you might as well let me enjoy the rest of what is left of this evening. Why don't you fetch me a glass of champagne and have one yourself why are you at it?" Mrs. Granville suggested or rather ordered her niece.

Her aunt rarely lashed out at her so Franny realised that she must have been quite a handful the whole day, for reasons she could not exactly put her fingers on. She had no idea why she came to this party, but it might have to do with the fact that her eyes were constantly searching the room for a certain windswept coal-black hairdo. And she was also itching to get her hands on Colin Bridgerton to "thank" him for the roses. Scanning the room in search of someone has also the danger, Franny quickly learned, of locking eyes with someone one wanted to stay far away from. As soon as Lord Tompkins caught sight of her, he made his excuses and started walking towards her. Franny turned around, quickly making her escape, glancing behind her shoulders, only to find herself almost having crashed into not else, but the queen who for some reason has chosen to put a sheep on her head, striking Franny's imagination about her next portrait. What about a cloud, or a puddle? Next to the queen's side was her strikingly blonde and equally handsome nephew, the Prince of Prussia. Gasping, Franny curtsied as politely as she could and muttered her greetings next to her heartfelt apologies. After all, she quite enjoyed her head attached to her torso.

"Ah, are you here to cause some havoc, Miss Granville, or maybe throw some insults at my nephew?' the queen's painted eyebrows rose highly, mischief glittering in her eyes as if she was daring Franny to do so.

"Not at all, Your Majesty. I hold absolute respect for His Highness and the great Kingdom of Prussia. Indeed, I do find the liberation of peasants and the school reform undertaken the most enlightened."

"Thank you, Miss Granville," taken aback, but granting her a sweet, handsome smile Prince Friedrich certainly did not expect that response. "You seem to be most up to date about the state of affairs."

"Yes, Your Highness, I like to be informed of what is happening around us, especially in this rather horrendous war we are engaged with France."

"Perhaps Miss Granville fancies herself to be a military adviser, not a young debutante barely out of her leading strings," the queen chimed in, bored with the direction the conversation was going.