Chapter 5 - The Grind

Start from the beginning

"MID TIER MONSTERS HAVE A STAT TOTAL RANGING FROM 26 TO 80"

"What level would I have to be to get that?"

"BETWEEN LEVELS 21 AND 75"

That was a very long way away. And just to become a mid-tier monster. It almost felt hopeless. I was much stronger than any other Monada but weaker than even the second weakest monster. I would have to work myself extremely hard.

I continued and continued. Spores and attacks. I had become strong enough to be able to kill 3 monadas each day and with the spores killing 2 rats a day I was racking up XP relatively fast. With 40XP from the rats and 30XP from the Monadas I could progress through the levels at a relatively fast pace. But every time I leveled up the next level was harder to get to. I needed 70xp to reach level 11 from 10. Then 74xp from lv 11 to 12. Then 77xp from 12 to 13.

But generally, as I got stronger I was slowly able to increase the number of Monadas I could defeat. However, after another month the number of monadas were dangerously low. I had reached level 27 by that point and had increased both my strength for attacks and for HP along with speed to help me catch up with slimes.

"What are my stats?"

"YOU HAVE A STAT TOTAL OF 31... WITH AN HP LEVEL OF 15...A STRENGTH LEVEL OF 7...A SPEED LEVEL OF 5 AND A MAGIC STRENGTH LEVEL OF 4"

With those stats, I would be considered to be a Mid-tier monster. At least according to the new and improved guide. The truth was that I wanted to use magic as Afterall just biting things wasn't fun for me. Sure I had a strong enough bite to dig a deep hole into a monada but that wasn't what I wanted. It meant I had to chase it. I had upgraded my seed up to the speed of a slime for that reason. And also having to bite them when their meat is putrid and vile was not something I looked forward to doing.

So I asked the question.

"How can I get a spell?"

"YOU ALREADY HAVE A SPELL"

"How can I get a spell that has an effect right away?"

"PRACTICE"

"How?"

"COMPUTING...YOU CAN COMBINE COPIED SPELLS TO MAKE PERSONAL SPELLS. THESE PERSONAL SPELLS WILL BE AFFECTED BY YOUR MAGICAL STRENGTH."

"But how do I copy more spells?"

"FIND MORE MONSTERS"

"But where can I find them?"

"IN THE LOWER LEVELS OF THE CHASM"

"But I can't go back through there"

"USE YOUR SHAPESHIFT SKILL"

"I have a shape-shift skill?"

"YES"

"Since when!?"

"SINCE YOU DIED"

"What! Really!? So I've spent all this time training for nothing I could have just shape-shifted into something stronger!"

"INCORRECT YOUR STATS WOULD REMAIN THE SAME"

"And how do I use my shapeshift skill?"

"SAY THE WORDS TRANSFORM FOLLOWED BY THE NAME OF THE FORM YOU WILL TAKE"

"Transform Dragon!"

Nothing happens

"YOU HAVE NEVER EATEN A DRAGON"

"What have I eaten then?"

"ORGANISMS EATEN ARE...MONADA...RAT...HUMAN"

"Is that it?"

"YES"

"So it's only what I've eaten since reincarnation?"

"YES"

"What can cross that barrier?"

"ANY MONSTER CLASSED AS MID TIER OR ABOVE, OR A NON MONSTER "

"Is a human a non-monster?"

"CORRECT"

"Ok in that case... Transform Human"

Nothing happened.

"Why didn't it work this time?"

"YOUR MAGIC STRENGTH ISN'T HIGH ENOUGH. YOU NEED A MAGIC STRENGTH OF 10 AT LEAST TO DO A TRANSFORMATION SPELL"

So I was out trying to gain XP yet again. It seemed as if every time I tried to get out of the pit and stop simply grinding the world would try to get me grinding again.

I did just that another 10 days of grinding and I had managed to gather the remaining 6 levels of magic power.

Then I approached the barrier and once again tried the spell.