chapter four

wake up / eden ♪

✩ * ⋆ ✧

"Why do you seem so far away?"

'𝙘𝙖𝙪𝙨𝙚 𝙬𝙚'𝙫𝙚 𝙗𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙙𝙧𝙞𝙫𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙨𝙤 𝙡𝙤𝙣𝙜
𝙄 𝙘𝙖𝙣'𝙩 𝙧𝙚𝙢𝙚𝙢𝙗𝙚𝙧 𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙬𝙚 𝙜𝙤𝙩 𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚

It was two days after you had arrived in America and you had called your dad for your morning check in that you promised you would do every day while you were away.

"'Cause I am, silly. But it's such a great opportunity to get to learn so much about the music industry and see what my future is going to be like! I already got to meet the guy that I'll be working with for the next couple months! And think of it this way, I'm always in your heart, so I'm not actually that far away."

"Why couldn't you have gone to one of the recording studios here in Japan, why does it have to be all the way in the states?"

"It's not like it was my choice where I was going," you said with a playful tone as you gave one of those signature smiles he held so dear to his heart. "Luckily, I'll only be gone one semester, so you'll be seeing me again in no time!"

"I know sweetheart, but that doesn't make it any easier that my baby is a million miles away and I can't be there with her."

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙨𝙪𝙣𝙙𝙤𝙬𝙣
𝙨𝙤 𝙛𝙖𝙧 𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙩, 𝙄'𝙢 𝙬𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙
𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙚𝙙𝙜𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙬𝙤𝙧𝙡𝙙 𝙞𝙨 𝙣𝙚𝙖𝙧

You and your father have been close for as long as you can remember. Your mother always liked to point out how you were two two peas of the same pod. She would always call you Little Trouble and Big Trouble. Always running the house and causing such a mess that you guys would happily clean up later. He was the best dad and friend you could ever ask for.

You were about 13 years old when your dad started to not be able to move as well. You guys were out getting some dinner for your mom as a surprise when all the sudden he fell in the street and you had to rush to get help from a nearby stranger. Later that night in the hospital, you and your mother received the news that he had osteoporosis (a bone disease that occurs when the body loses too much bone, makes too little bone, or both which as a result bones become weak and may break from a fall or in serious cases, from sneezing or minor bumps). Unfortunately, he had a more serious case meaning it would be very easy for him to break a bone, like if he were to bump into a side of a table it would break whatever bone ended up being in contact with the table.

For the next couple months, your father ended up being on bed rest as you went around the house trying to "dad-proof" the house, basically baby-proofing but instead of it being for a baby, it was for a grown adult man. You were only a kid, yet you still had to watch the man you admire most, of the strongest people you had ever meant, turn into something more fragile than a piece of glass. But you still kept the optimistic attitude that you got from your dad, and made sure that no matter what you would always try to keep the smile you loved so much on his face.

The next couple years were a balancing act for him. Trying to figure out what exactly were his body's limits, and what he could get away with on a daily basis. You constantly would remind him not to push himself too hard, and always tried helping in any way you could around the house. Your mother on the other hand, was no longer the same person she was years ago. She was emotionally distant, and wasn't around very much as she was always in her room sleeping the day and night away. After watching her husband struggle and break bones left and right just to survive another day, she felt her heart shatter to the point of no repair. From that gloomy day on, your mother would never be your mom again. Just another body that walks around your house with no direction. She was never the same again.