3

⚠️TW: Abuse.

My father didn't hit me often. But he did still. A slap across the face from the man should have killed me, or left me marred more but each time he had hit me I was prepared. And I kept him away from the others. After Touya, I knew I had to keep the others as safe as I could. I already failed one, I couldn't do it again.

I am so sorry, Shouto, I know I couldn't stop his brutal trainings. Though I tried. And I will still try.

My father and I often got in screaming matches during my teen years. When I was seventeen I promised my siblings I would find us a way to leave the horrid house.

When I turned eighteen I left. I finished UA, which pissed Endeavor off to no end. I worked with whatever agency would take me. I ended up sticking around Fat Gum for awhile, he is truly an amazing man.

I offered for the others to live with me. It would have been cramped but not impossible. But after a whole year of not even speaking with my father, the others stayed. Fuyumi had a job and insisted that she be there for Shouto until he got into UA. Natsuo finished high school and was going into college. And Shouto, he had started to change.

Even more distant than before, my baby brother wanted nothing to do with me. I offered to find a job, closer and take him from the house yet he did not want to come.

The one thing he did do though, was gather the evidence.

Twice a month I traveled home to patch him up.

Fat put me on day shift. Its the only shift I hate. Nights are my specialty. "A nineteen year old kid shouldn't be out alone at night," he always said.

It was four in the afternoon when I got a call from Fuyumi. I stopped my patrol for a second, seeing as hardly anything was happening. "Ayumi! I need your help, Dad left me with Shouto and he's really hurt and I can't take him to the hospital!" I could hear the girl panicking.

"Hey, hey I'll be there tonight. Make sure none of his bones are broken, ice him, especially on his left side. Put the soft pillow from my bed under his face or head and try to get him to drink some tea," I said quickly, groaning.

I hung up and called the boss man. He was currently out with a few interns and work study students. He picks up on the third ring, asking me if there was something wrong.

"No, I need to leave for the night, and maybe tomorrow. I'll do extra patrolls all next week. My brother is hurt again and I need to get home. I'm so sorry," I replied. There is a small sense of irritation in my voice.

"No problem Haruno! Update me later," the man said in his usual upbeat tone. Haruno was the surname I chose when I finally left home. I cut ties with the name Todoroki and took my mothers maiden name. Sure my father could still find me if he cared. But he never cared too.

I stopped home to change then got in my car and rushed home. I sped as fast as I could without getting pulled over for traffic violations. A hero with a bad driving record? Absolutely not.

By the time I reached the Todoroki residence it was five. I didn't even know just rushed into the traditional looking Japanese home. "Fuyumi? Where are you?" I yell, tossing off my shoes, my socked feet padding softly on the wooden floor. My now black hair flowed behind me.

"In Shouto's room!" She yelled in return. Her voice shook. As I entered i saw the boy, my baby brother shuddering, trying to stay conscious.

Ice covered his back, his face half curried in my old blue pillow. I could see sweat beading down his face.

"Hey Sho, what happened?" I ask softly, kneeling next to him. Fuyumi had silent tears running down her face. I could tell the pressure of this was killing her.

Even though Endeavor had killed one child and pushed away another two, he continued to hurt the rest. Fuyumi never left the house, she protected Shouto when I could not. But I know that killed her inside. As much as it must have hurt to see dad and I go at each others throats, I bet it hurt far more seeing the baby of the family being pushed to sheer exhaustion everyday. Everyday a new injury.

"It hurts Yumi," he whispers, his voice somewhat deeper than the last time we had talked.

"Where?" I ask. I run my hand through his hair. With the other hand I reach behind me to Fuyumi. She grabs my hand and I give it a squeeze.

"He kept making me fight. UA's entrance exam is coming up." He whispers, shutting his eyes.

I turn to look at my sister, her white hair was messy, falling out of the pony it was tied into. The red speckles in it ever so prominent. The girl took off her glasses to wipe her eyes. "I couldn't find any burns. But gods Ayumi, those bruises, he mush have pulled some muscles.."

I scoot towards her and wrap her up in a hug. I push her head into my shoulder.

"He kept asking for you. I tried my best but, but he... he was in and out. He hasn't been sleeping right lately. Him and dad have been fighting so much. He called for you, and.. and he was asleep. But he called for Touya," she breaks down again. Something both of us did when the name came up. A few tears escaped my eyes. Dripping own my cheeks and landing in my sisters soft hair.

I silently grip my sister's blue cardigan before I push away. "How about you and Sho stay with me the weekend? Go pack some bags for you guys. He can heal and both of you can stay away from Enji,"

My siblings used to stay with me, a few days at a time but never moved in. Every time they came home Enji would be furious. I am the name your number one curses at night.

Enji, I bet you wish you would have killed me now huh.?