one. leaving

[author's note.] there is an optional prequel to this book on my profile. it is called 'a stark secret' and it delves into your backstory, specifically how you came to be tony stark's daughter and how the avengers trained you. it is NOT REQUIRED to understand this book, but it is there if you wish to read it. thank you, please enjoy.

___

You looked up at the coffee shop sign and took a deep breath.

You could do this, you just had to keep your head on.

Pushing the doors open, you walked inside and glanced around.

He was sitting on a barstool. Liam Thomas; your best friend, your partner in crime, and your biggest regret. He met your gaze and grinned.

You moved through the shop and hitched a smile onto your face as he dismounted to engulf you in a hug.

"We've really gotta start hanging out more, I'm starting to think you don't like me." He teased, letting go and pulling out your chair.

You laughed and internally cringed, aware of how clipped it sounded. But he didn't seem to notice.

"I already ordered. Made sure to get your favorite,"

Your hands were sweating so you brushed them on your pants. "Thanks Liam,"

"Yeah," He faltered "I actually got here a little early because Asher's appointment went short."

For the first time, you realized Liam was also acting different. You didn't know which was more concerning, the fact that he was behaving strange or the fact that you hadn't caught on sooner. Natasha would have been disappointed.

You silently told yourself to shut up and then said: "The appointment was cut short? Why?"

Liam looked regretful. "Well..." He tried for a smile. "We don't really need to talk about it, didn't you say you had big news?"

Briefly contemplating what Liam's brother's appointment length could mean, you reorganized your thoughts. It was simple: like a mission. Get in, deliver the asset, get out.

But it was easier said than done, in your opinion.

"I—" You began but a waitress waltzed over and set a drink down in front of Liam.

"Sugar?" She smiled sweetly at him, the gleam in her eyes telling you more than you wanted to know about her taste in men.

"No, thanks." Liam said, nodding at her but only out of courtesy, his attention quickly returned to you.

The waitress looked a little disappointed as she set your drink down too, dropping a packet of sugar and two straws before leaving.

Liam rolled a straw between his fingers. "You were saying?"

You bit the inside of your lip, not wanting to say it, but knowing that delaying would just make it worse. "I just... well— Liam..."

"Hm?" He tore open the straw and poked it into his drink.

In the most perfect timing, you brain chose to show you memories of all the best adventures you had been on with Liam. He had made the past year bearable. You didn't want to lose him.

"Woah, hey, ___, is everything okay?" Liam reached a hand over the table and took hold of yours.

You looked down at it, the tears in your eyes making everything blurry.

"I don't know how to say it— I— I think it's going to ruin our friendship...."

A look crossed Liam's face and for some reason you didn't like it. It was a look of understanding. But... of the wrong kind of understanding.