Chapter Seventeen

Começar do início

He licked his lips thoughtfully. "Why would they compromise themselves in such a way if they never intended to be married?"

She shrugged. "Perhaps they truly fell in love. Daphne turned down a prince who seemed perfect for her, after all. It's the only conclusion I can come to that makes sense."

"It seems reasonable," he agreed. "I assume that the visit to the queen is because she is blocking their special license?"

He knew that a couple couldn't get married that quickly without a special license, so it was easy to guess that they had wanted things expedited. If they had really been caught and reputations were at stake, a quick union was crucial.

"Yes. The prince is her nephew, so she's not happy that Daphne turned him down."

His hand was still on her neck. He was close to her. She could feel his heat, and smell him. She breathed in, allowing herself to be lost in the scent.

"How do you think that happens?" he murmured. "How do two people fall in love when they never intend to?"

He knew she wouldn't have an answer, but he wished with all of his heart that she did. If she could only tell him how, he could make her love him.

He hadn't let himself think the word before. It was so foreign to him. But he knew that was what this was. He loved her, and he wanted her to love him back so they could be happy together forever.

"I don't suppose they planned it," she mused softly. "Maybe they thought they were safe from each other, and then they realized that they were meant to be all along."

Her words lingered between them for one long moment. Then Violet and Daphne came down the stairs, the carriage clattered up to the front door, and it was time for them all to leave.

They were both still lost in their thoughts when they arrived at the palace. Thankfully, neither of them had much to do beyond watch and hope that things worked out for Daphne and Simon.

At first, it didn't look like they were going to. The queen was resolutely unmoved, and clearly still stung by Daphne's rejection of the prince.

Daphne was trying valiantly to make an appeal, but it was Simon who finally managed it.

"It was not, Your Majesty," he broke in when Daphne tried to claim their meeting had been love at first sight. "The young lady flatters me, but it was not love at first sight for either of us. There was attraction, certainly, at least on my part. But Miss Bridgerton thought me presumptuous, arrogant, insincere. All fair, really."

Sherlock smiled slightly and glanced at Robin, who was also smiling. It was much like their first meeting.

"And I thought her a prim young lady barely out of leading strings," Simon continued. "Not to mention the sister of my best friend, and so romance was entirely out of the question for both of us. But in so removing it, we found something far greater."

Robin tilted her head curiously. She had no idea what Simon could mean.

"We found friendship," he revealed. "You see, Miss Bridgerton and I have been fooling all of Mayfair for some time."

Robin inhaled sharply and grabbed Sherlock's arm. He rested his hand over hers, his heart beating rapidly.

She had been right. They had fallen in love without meaning to. So it was possible.

"We have fooled them into thinking we are courting," Simon explained. "When really, all along, we simply enjoyed each other's company so much we could not stay away from one another. I have never been a man that much enjoyed flirting, or chatting, or, indeed, talking at all. But with Daphne... Miss Bridgerton... conversation has always been easy. Her laughter brings me joy."