"I don't know, Bren..."

"I'm sure it's nothing. Forget about it. He's a thing of your past. We're your present." I could only imagine he was talking about himself and that future son or daughter of theirs who was going to make Declan a big brother. "We're all you need."

There was a short pause before she replied, "Yeah. I guess so. Oh, you found Declan's giraffe? Thank you so much." And she kissed him.

I clenched my fists in anger. I must've zoned in on their conversation and blocked everything else out because the next I know Pete is snapping his fingers in front of my face, trying to get my attention. I slowly looked over at him, loosening my now red and stinging hands. "What?"

"I asked you what the hell you were thinking back there!" He yelled at me under his breath, as if he'd asked me that question a hundred times, and smacking me on the arm.

"I just wanted to talk to her..."

"You can't just talk to her anymore, Patrick. That's not how it works."

"What do you mean 'that's not how it works'?"

"It's just...It's just not how it works. Bronx!" He snapped at his son who was about to add four boxes of Oreos into the cart. He froze. "We do not need that many Oreos!"

"But I want theeeeem," He whined, pouting his lips out and giving his dad puppy eyes, something Pete was a sucker for (though he would never admit it).

Pete heaved a sigh, "Fine." Bronx smiled and dropped the four boxes into the cart. Pete rolled his eyes.

*****

It was later that night and Pete and I were sitting out on his patio. He had a bottle of beer in his hands - his fourth one. He gave me a bottle but I hadn't touched it. I was eating from one of the four boxes of Oreos Bronx made Pete buy that was sitting in between us on the table. The box was almost half eaten. And Pete hadn't even touched it.

"I can't believe him," I blurted out, attracting Pete's attention. His expression was blank.

"Who you can't you believe?" He asked.

"Brendon."

He brought the brown-tinted bottle up to his lips and returned his focus to the backyard out in front of us.

"First he calls the police on me, then he gets me put in jail, and now he's taken my place in Fall Out Boy and my wife."

"Ex-wife," My friend reminded me sullenly.

"Right," I hung my head and looked down into my lap, my hands underneath my thighs in an attempt to resist the urge of eating another cookie. "Ex-wife."

"I didn't know he was the one to call the police on you," Pete mumbled.

"Yeah, he was."

"I'm sorry, man."

"It's not your fault." I sat there for a little before standing up. "It's his. He's the reason all of this shit is happening to me." Pete glanced up at me, an eyebrow raised in suspicion. "He's the fucking reason I'm this miserable. He's the reason I spent four years in that hell hole. And he's the reason I have nothing left but you! He needs to be put in his right place! Six feet under!" My blood was boiling, my face got hot, and my heart rate picked up.

"Whoa whoa whoa," Pete stood up as well, putting his hands out, his beer bottle still in hand, "Hold on there, Patrick. No need to put him six feet under."

"Why?"

"Because he didn't-" He began to say when he cut himself short. I gave him that What? What was that? look. He shook his head, "You don't need to kill him, Pat. You'll just get yourself arrested again. You don't want that, do you?"

"No, but-"

"Then leave him alone."

"But he's with the love of my life! And he's with my best friends, making music, which is my entire life!"

"Patrick, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but the world didn't wait for you when you were locked up. It kept going. It kept turning. People moved on. And so..." A step closer to me, "...should..." Another step closer to me, "...you." A poke to the chest. He smirked, "Okay?"

"No. Not okay." I argued. His smirk disappeared. "How do you expect me to move on when all my life has been taken away from me? There's no reason why I shouldn't exact my revenge on him!"

"What about Elisa, huh?" He yelled at me. I stared at him blankly. "She's happy, Patrick. Isn't that what you want for someone you love? For them to be happy?"

My cheeks grew a deep shade of red before I replied much more calmly than before, "I-I guess."

"Then let her be happy. Even if what makes her happy isn't you." He downed the last of his beer, slammed the bottle down on the table, and walked inside, leaving me outside alone. I sat back down in my chair and crossed my arms. I glanced over at the box of Oreos and sighed, sticking my hand out and grabbing one of the cookies, popping it quickly into my mouth and sitting back in the chair, eating the cookie and thinking about what Pete said to me.

People moved on. And so...should...you.